Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nashman69g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Am I the only unlucky person to receive a DOA (dead on arrival) Xs MAX right out of the box??

I finally bought a new phone after 5 years--still rocking the 5s. All excited about receiving my new Xs Max last night. I open the box click the power button...nothing. WTF...figure it might just need a charge...left it plugged in for 2 hours...nothing...WTF. try vol up down side button (multiple times)...nothing. leave it plugged in all night. try again in the morning...nothing. Take it into work to see if the Samsung Qi fast charger will work...charger light turns on (blue)...maybe some hope??...after a few hours...nothing!! after 9 hours...nothing (light never turned green)...WTF...I guess it's officially DEAD. I have an appointment with Apple store Friday. So frustrating!!

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
They ALWAYS come already charged. Usually not to 100%, but with a good charge. They probably charge them to 100%, and it depends on how long they sit around after that. (Or < 100% for safety reasons?)

So, that it didn't turn on right away should have been your first clue.

nashman69g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
I figured I was SOL just after pressing the side button...I had to go through the trouble shooting steps as that's the first thing that everyone will ask me.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
They ALWAYS come already charged. Usually not to 100%, but with a good charge. They probably charge them to 100%, and it depends on how long they sit around after that. (Or < 100% for safety reasons?)

It’s not advisable for lithium batteries to sit idle charged to 100%. Shirtens the lifespan of the battery. That’s why they don’t charge it to 100%.

Reactions: Glideslope

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
It’s not advisable for lithium batteries to sit idle charged to 100%. Shirtens the lifespan of the battery. That’s why they don’t charge it to 100%.
They are charged at ~ 60% because it's best for battery with phone turned off.

Reactions: Glideslope

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016

My dads 8 came dead, had to charge it before setting it up for him. Never had that happen before..

nashman69g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Amazing!! Still getting used to the larger phone. The screen is phenomenal! Speed and response is so much better. I wasn’t sure if I’d like Face ID, but I think it makes you forget about authentication. Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase.

I do think the price tag was a bit ridiculous!

Reactions: DiamonDecoden

Hotpinkflamingoaz

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Az
Amazing!! Still getting used to the larger phone. The screen is phenomenal! Speed and response is so much better. I wasn’t sure if I’d like Face ID, but I think it makes you forget about authentication. Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase.

I do think the price tag was a bit ridiculous!
Face ID is a game changer! I came from a 7+ and kept trying to swipe up after using the Max for only a couple hours! So glad you got it replaced!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Enjoy your great phone. It must be a day and night difference coming from a 5s.

galro

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2019
Just got iPhone XS Max 256GB, also DOA. Tried everything, it won't turn on. Sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.