Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Disaster, I purchased it and could not believe how uncomfortable it is. Huge phones not for me. Heavy, big, bulky! Sold yesterday and purchased the xs. Happy now! What surprised me is that Max offers nothing extra...same everything as xs, just heavier, bulkier, unfomfortable
You should have tested it out before purchasing. For everyone else on this thread, it works out great. Just stay off this thread as you expressed your opinion.

Reactions: uknation87

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Somebody buys a 6.5 inch device and doesn’t expect it to be big in the hand a more bulky than the regular xs? Right ok...not sure what the guy was expecting

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I came from an iPhone X. Yes the Max is bigger and heavier but at my age I was willing to handle the additional size and weight for the screen. With my eyes it is a pleasure to look at and oh boy that camera. What pictures.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I agree that it is a fantastic phone, but not enough of an improvement in my opinion to justify an upgrade from the X.

That's good and perfectly normal. Though I'm sure Apple and stock holders would appreciate if everyone updated every year, but that's somewhat out of the ordinary. Unless you do the IUP or something similar. Over the years the "s" models have been minor performance upgrades and good for a two year upgrade cycle.

I like my max. Didn't go with the X because I was used to how the + model phone OS worked. More like the iPad. And, I like the extra real estate. So far I've been amazed at the speed difference and got used to the missing button pretty easily.

Reactions: joelovesapple

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I agree that it is a fantastic phone, but not enough of an improvement in my opinion to justify an upgrade from the X.
Prior to the X, I had only used the plus-sized iPhones, so for me the size of the Xs Max was the only justification that I needed. I'd have bought it even if nothing else had changed from the X. The updated camera of the Xs was a very nice extra bonus.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I upgraded from the iPhone X. I loved the iPhone X but wished for a bigger screen when it was released last year. The screen, camera, and new eSIM feature are the big reasons why I upgraded to the iPhone XS Max. I have been very satisfied thus far. Will be even happier when the eSIM ability goes live.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Disaster, I purchased it and could not believe how uncomfortable it is. Huge phones not for me. Heavy, big, bulky! Sold yesterday and purchased the xs. Happy now! What surprised me is that Max offers nothing extra...same everything as xs, just heavier, bulkier, unfomfortable

Some users like myself like a larger phone and the something extra is the size.
With the XS and XS Max being the same except for size someone who prefers the XS is not getting penalized with lack of features.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I owned a Plus size phone continuously starting with the iPhone 6 Plus. I then bought the X last year, which was a step down in display width but otherwise was an amazing upgrade, and certainly easier to hold and carry.

My upgrade to the Max was preceded by a lot of debating with myself about whether I was willing to go to the larger form factor again.

Once I got to spend some time with it in an Apple Store, I became convinced that I wanted it and was good with the size. The first week, it certainly felt big compared to the X that I’d grown used to. After that first week, it’s become totally natural again. I think far more now about how awesome the big display is than the size of the case.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I upgraded from the X. Been using my XS Max a day before release. This is the first time I truly enjoy a bigger phone. I'm enjoying the bigger screen. The better battery and camera. This past weekend I celebrated my 36th birthday. I did a bunch of stuff... dinner, brunches, lounge Saturday night, and amazing Miami Dolphins game on Sunday. Let me tell you this phone takes sick pictures. Even in low lighting its amazing how good the pics come out. Even my friends where amazed at pics. I don't usually care to take so many pics and what not.

Reactions: redman042

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I upgraded from the iPhone X. I loved the iPhone X but wished for a bigger screen when it was released last year. The screen, camera, and new eSIM feature are the big reasons why I upgraded to the iPhone XS Max. I have been very satisfied thus far. Will be even happier when the eSIM ability goes live.
I upgraded from the x as well..... Love the bigger display and camera is fantastic.
Just curious....How will you use eSIM that you mentioned?

MacWins

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2017
After almost 2 weeks since I picked it up, I must say that I’m really enjoying this piece of future technology.
I upgraded from the 8 plus, which I really loved: I decided not to buy the X last year because of the smaller/narrower display, but after half an hour with the Max I find my self laughing about all the “touch ID VS Face ID” thing.
All is so smoother and immediate now, and more comfortable too.
Sometimes I find it already unlocked, in the act of pulling it out of my pocket, while I'm placing it in front of my face.
Like in the morning with tiny eyes, it simply always instantly unlock.
The extra screen real estate is really great;
this, with this spectacular oled panel and the camera quality are worth the purchase!

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I had planned to sit this year out with my X, but I'm glad I upgraded. I've been loving it so far.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
Such a good phone. I thought my previous 7 Plus was quick, but oh boy THIS thing is so so fast! It's beautiful, I have the gold version in 64GB. This storage point is plenty for me as iCloud holds everything else including photos and videos.

I am a real happy camper. I also noticed that the audio is much louder and better quality when on speaker. I've never needed to have full volume. It is so well built too, I am just so happy with this phone. Easily the best phone I have ever used/owned.

:)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Love mine too and ha made me use my phone more and ipad less when on sofa for example. can do a lot more than I could do on my x

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I had an iPhone 6. On Friday I received my XS Max. What a speedy difference and the display is great. I grabbed the 6 today to compare a movie in HDR and not and was amazed at how tiny the 6 felt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.