iPhone X Xs Max Impressions: WOW!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by _Refurbished_, Sep 21, 2018.

1. _Refurbished_, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018

_Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

”Wow” is the first thing that came to mind when powering up the Max. It’s awesome! Doesn’t feel as heavy as I thought it would, similar to the X (which IS heavy, but only compared to other phones its size).

The iPhone Xr, however, may be the route to go. Saving $350 is probably worth it, plus you get extended battery. The Xr seems to be a great form factor, with a sweet spot for size and feature set. Might be worth the wait to see how it stacks up.

I won’t be returning my Max, as it’s a beast, but future buyers may want to hold off for the Xr to see how it turns out. All of these new phones seem great.

2. firewire9000 macrumors regular

The screen is freaking amazing and massive. It’s like my X but with asteroids. Too big for me but it’s a great phone.

3. rwestiv macrumors member

rwestiv

Now THIS is the iPhone I was looking for!!

The X is a really good phone, but this bigger screen is FAN TAS TIC!!

GBA

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Is the XR on display at the Apple Store? I'm being lazy driving to my mall 5 miles away. Maybe, I'll go to the Mall tonight. If they happen to have an XS Max Gold 256, I'll snatch it while I'm there.

5. JUCJ85 macrumors regular

JUCJ85

I got mine around 4 PM today, man I love this iPhone, I loved the Plus series, but the Max is Awesome, love having a 6.5 inch screen, notch isn't that big of a deal with this size screen.

6. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Total love, taking this honey to bed with me tonight. Hehe.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The Max is definitely lighter than my iPhone 7 plus was. I feel like I found a new Apple love.

8. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

People don’t believe me when I said this. But my old 8 plus I gave to my mom a while back feels slightly heavier to me.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No
    No doubt about it. I am glad the new Max doesn't feel like a brick.

10. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

I got my Max today. I like it better than my X. But I would tell others to wait and see the XR screen in person before deciding.

11. chicla74 macrumors newbie

Totally in love with new XS Max !!!! The most Amazing phone ever so far !!!!

12. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

It’s pretty awesome! Same footprint as my 8+ but much bigger better screen. Slowly getting used to FaceID and gestures but so far it’s been an easy learning curve. Oh and the camera rocks! Very happy with it!

13. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

It feels amazing in my hand and these gestures take a bit of repetition but it’s fine. Can’t wait to dive deep into the camera too.

14. LiveWireless macrumors member

Good to know there are still some smart people out there.

15. zmon macrumors regular

zmon

I've got both in front of me right now, bought the max to replace my 8+. The Plus feels heavier, but it's so small that I can't really tell the difference between the two. It's really the clever weight distribution in the Max that makes it feel lighter since the Max is about 0.2 ounces heavier.

16. James Baldwin, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018

James Baldwin macrumors regular

I’m not sure, the XS Max feels a bit heavier but in a good way? Like it feels really solid and nicely balanced.

No complaints from me

17. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

That’s probably the best way to describe it.

18. Elwots macrumors regular

Elwots

Now I’m trying to picture an X with asteroids.

19. Dld23 macrumors member

Can you fit more icons on the screen? Do apps use the resolution correctly or have gaps around them and not use the whole screen? Is it just the small screen but projected larger?

20. firewire9000 macrumors regular

It’s like a regular X but much bigger. :D;)

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I wonder if you can get a belt to go with the asteroids.

22. SnyG macrumors regular

SnyG

I’m down the pub and I’ve just caught a lady full on staring at my phone, haha. On that note, I’m absolutely terrified of losing it while I’m drunk.

23. ZoroastrianChemist macrumors newbie

ZoroastrianChemist

Haha, I was in a study room yesterday and this guy kept staring at my phone. Then he brought up to people around him “damn you see that new iPhone yet it costs $1200 bucks” you’re looking right at it bud lol. It’s very big but I guess just passively looking at it, you wouldn’t be able to tell what kind of iPhone it is

24. gaedfly macrumors regular

Got my Max yesterday. First thing that struck me as I took it out of the box was, it's heavy!. I came to the X from a 6S Plus and a 7 Plus. I thought's I'd miss the larger form factor but I really loved the size of the X. The only thing I didn't like was the smaller keyboard. When the Max came out I just had to try it. Going from the X to the XS didn't seem worth the upgrade. But once I held the Max I started wondering whether I should have gone with the XS instead. Walking around the house the Max pokes out of my pocket. The X was a natural part of my hand from the start. The Max is not. The X feels "slicker". I don't know how to explain this. I don't mean slicker as in slippery, just a slick comfortable little phone.

As I was setting up the Max last night this morning, I was struck with how fast it is. So much faster than my X.

Comparing videos side by side, the Max is the clear winner. And I love having a bigger keyboard again. I think I'll get used to having a plate for a phone again. I'm not going to exchange it.

That's it for now, still tweaking. Pics are of the XS Max next to the X.

Attached Files:

25. Sigp232 macrumors regular

Sigp232

Wait until the credit card bill comes in a month than will all say WOW OUCH DAMN