Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
So my cousin is thinking of getting the XS Max. When I took my iPhone out of the case which have only had for a week there are very very tiny micro scratches on the stainless steel band. She wants to know if the space grey gets the micro scratches as bad seeing that it has a special coating around it or is it more resistant to them?

Can anyone verify?

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
There's a PVD/vapor infused coating on both the gold and space gray finishes.
The silver model is more prone to micro scratches, but if a cape cod cloth kit is purchased, they can typically be buffed
out with just that finish (since it's a standard stainless steel).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So my cousin is thinking of getting the XS Max. When I took my iPhone out of the case which have only had for a week there are very very tiny micro scratches on the stainless steel band. She wants to know if the space grey gets the micro scratches as bad seeing that it has a special coating around it or is it more resistant to them?

Can anyone verify?

The space gray _should_ be more resistant to the scratches, as it uses a physical vapor deposition coating, which essentially creates a barrier around the bands to prevent scratches. But it really depends on what the Bands come into contact with, that ultimately causes the scratches.

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
There's a PVD/vapor infused coating on both the gold and space gray finishes.
The silver model is more prone to micro scratches, but if a cape cod cloth kit is purchased, they can typically be buffed
out with just that finish (since it's a standard stainless steel).

Do they get rid of the micro scratches that literally can only be seen at an angle in the light? I thought I read that while it does get rid of scratches those micro scratches won’t be taken out?

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
The space gray _should_ be more resistant to the scratches, as it uses a physical vapor deposition coating, which essentially creates a barrier around the bands to prevent scratches. But it really depends on what the Bands come into contact with, that ultimately causes the scratches.

I’ve only had my iPhone in a case since purchased a week ago and I took it out a few times to clean the bands and phone with a microfiber cloth. So I’m not sure what caused mine. I didn’t drop it at all and always very cautious when putting it in my pocket to make sure nothing else is in there.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
If it is in a case most of its life scratches are really irrelevant at least for me. I have never taken a phone out of a case to inspect it or clean it unless it got wet.

When I decide to upgrade a phone I usually sell it on eBay or trade it in. Having any micro scratches has never affected the sale of an old phone, and if you trade it in, all they care about is if it works, and the screen is not cracked.

I have the grey with stainless steel. Have no idea if it is susceptible to scratching because I have no reason to take it out of its case.

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
If it is in a case most of its life scratches are really irrelevant at least for me. I have never taken a phone out of a case to inspect it or clean it unless it got wet.

When I decide to upgrade a phone I usually sell it on eBay or trade it in. Having any micro scratches has never affected the sale of an old phone, and if you trade it in, all they care about is if it works, and the screen is not cracked.

I have the grey with stainless steel. Have no idea if it is susceptible to scratching because I have no reason to take it out of its case.

I didn’t think it’d have any effect on selling it. She was worried about that as she always sells her iPhone when the new one comes out but again she didn’t want to have to deal with the micro scratches on the silver band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.