iPhone X Xs Max somehow feels bigger than 8 Plus - Exchanging?

kjvmartin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
I've been using the 8 Plus for work with no issues, so I decided to upgrade my personal iPhone 7 to an Xs Max. My Max arrived today.

The problem that I'm having is that the Max is "all screen" so those icons in the top row are a much further away when I'm gripping the phone. That's where the bezel used to be on the plus models. So my "goto" messages App in the top corner requires a 2nd hand to reach.. Anyone else running into this issue? I am considering trying to somehow exchange it through VZW for an Xs. This sounds like a pain in the rear, though, considering low stock on a new item.

Should I just accept this and move on or switch to the more manageable Xs?

Last edited:

infoghost

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
Maine
I've been using the 8 Plus for work with no issues, so I decided to upgrade my personal iPhone 7 to an Xs Max. My Max arrive today.

The problem that I'm having is that the Max is "all screen" so those icons in the top row are a much further away when I'm gripping the phone. That's where the bezel used to be on the plus models. So my "goto" messages App in the top corner requires a 2nd hand to reach.. Anyone else running into this issue? I am considering trying to somehow exchange it through VZW for an Xs. This sounds like a pain in the rear, though, considering low stock on a new item.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
I've been using the 8 Plus for work with no issues, so I decided to upgrade my personal iPhone 7 to an Xs Max. My Max arrive today.

You can always adjust the zoom ratio so it's not a problem?

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
The Plus has always been a two-handed phone for me in *most* situations, so I'm hoping the Max won't seem much larger when I get mine on Monday. Food for thought, though.

OP, I'd recommend seeing if you get used to it over the next 14 days. You still have time to try it out before you return.

SuperDan89

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
I've been using the 8 Plus for work with no issues, so I decided to upgrade my personal iPhone 7 to an Xs Max. My Max arrived today.

Coming from the iPhone 5, the XS is big enough for me. Plus, the issue you raised is exactly the sort of reason I went for the smaller model.

kjvmartin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
Coming from the iPhone 5, the XS is big enough for me. Plus, the issue you raised is exactly the sort of reason I went for the smaller model.
Happy ending - VZW had no one in line and plenty of Xs in stock this morning. Took about 30 minutes to walk out with minus a Max and plus an Xs. This feels like a much better fit.

Reactions: JamiLynee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.