iPhone 11 Pro XS Max to 11 Pro Max: eSIM Transfer?

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I’m currently using a XS Max with an AT&T physical SIM card and a Verizon eSIM. Is there a way I can transfer my Verizon service from the XS Max without having to call Verizon? Can it be done on their website? Anyone done this?

spiderpumpkin

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Maybe transfer the Verizon eSim to a Verison physical SIM card? Then once you get the new phone do a Verizon SIM card to esim change.

Orien

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
San Francisco
I got a 11 Pro today with a T-Mobile physical SIM and I've been trying to transfer the Verizon eSIM (previously on my XS) to my 11 Pro and Verizon keeps telling me the 11 Pro's digital IMEI is an invalid device :/

Boardiesboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
You can’t transfer an eSIM from an old to new device.
Here in Australia, we had to get a new QR code and add it to the new phone. We then had to go to a telco shop and ask staff to activate the new sim.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Here in Australia, we had to get a new QR code and add it to the new phone. We then had to go to a telco shop and ask staff to activate the new sim.
That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Why do they make it so difficult?

Orien

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
San Francisco
Verizon has a universal QR code. They just need to change your digital IMEI for your device, but it's erroring out on their side for me.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Verizon has a universal QR code. They just need to change your digital IMEI for your device, but it's erroring out on their side for me.
I swear every year it’s one thing or another. You’d think they’d have this down by now. We’re at least a year into eSIM.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Why do they make it so difficult?
It’s the stupidest implementation of new technology ever. the whole point of eSIM is you don’t need physical items anymore.

The QR codes come printed in a sealed voucher and can apparently go “out of stock”.

Cruncher

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
Hmm.. here in Switzerland with Swisscom I can just login to my Carrier Portal and click on replace SIM and get a QR code to activate a new eSIM. After scanning it was avaiable immediately.

Meow0322

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
holy cow, on the phone with Verizon so far 2hrs, keep transferring to different department tying to do activation, why its so hard for them?????

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Maybe transfer the Verizon eSim to a Verison physical SIM card? Then once you get the new phone do a Verizon SIM card to esim change.
That’s exactly what I had to do, as you can’t do an esim to esim transfer.

But it’s too much of a hassle, and I’m going to stick with the physical sim.