iPhone 11 Xs Max to iPhone 11 Pro?

Teemuhyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2016
Hi,

Have anyone here switched their iPhone from bigger to smaller? I have basically bought the bigger iPhone because of battery life. Now with the iPhone 11 Pro it seems that even the 5.8” model has a great battery life. So I’ m thinking if I should switch my iPhone Xs Max to iPhone 11 Pro. It would be great to use my phone with only one hand after years!

There’s only one concern and that is gaming. I’ve been playing games with my iPhone and of course 6.5” screen is great for that. Now that Apple Arcade is out games are getting even more complex.

But basically, I wanna hear how you have felt the switch from bigger to smaller. I miss times when I was able to write messages with one hand easily. I got fairly small hands... I just don’t know if I’m too used to the 6.5” screen...

mpshah27

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
I’m a Max user, got the 11 Pro Max and enjoying it. But every now n then I do feel the weight of it and do think of going 11 Pro. So picked up the smaller one yesterday and going to give both a try within the 14 day return period.

iGeneo

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
That's exactly what I did... vey happy! I always had the plus sized phones, but the downsize has been a blessing.

Reactions: dms_91

Teemuhyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2016
How is gaming? How much worse the 5.8” screen is when it come to gaming?

dms_91

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2016
Love the 11 Pro size! Used to use Plus sized iPhones myself til the X and the size of the X grew on me. Tried the max and it was just too much for day to day use. The battery on the 11 pro is absolutely amazing compared to the X and XS. No longer need the huge phone.
- - Post merged: - -

Gaming should be fine on the 11 Pro. You’ll get used to the size while gaming.
How is gaming? How much worse the 5.8” screen is when it come to gaming?

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Yep switched from plus / max size to the normal size and it feels so much better in the hand. Gaming shouldn’t be a problem. You might feel the size difference for a week but then will get used to it. Although I’m not really a gamer, but I do play sometimes.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I went from the 6+ to the X and hated the smaller size. I upgraded last year mainly just to move back to the max. Even after a year, I just never felt comfortable with the smaller screen. But try out both in the store and see how it feels to you, since obviously a lot of people are big fans of the smaller form factor.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
I went from the 6+ to the X and hated the smaller size. I upgraded last year mainly just to move back to the max. Even after a year, I just never felt comfortable with the smaller screen. But try out both in the store and see how it feels to you, since obviously a lot of people are big fans of the smaller form factor.
Ha! Complete opposite story here. Even after using the plus size back to back with the 8 plus and Xs max, I just couldn’t get used to the size. So switched back to the normal size this year.

Teemuhyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2016
Okey, thank you. Maybe I will visit my local shop and test out the iPhone 11 Pro. It’s just hard to make a desicion based on what you see in the shop...

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
My input does not involve the phones in the topic title, but;

Have anyone here switched their iPhone from bigger to smaller?
Yes. Some time ago I switched from iPhone 6S Plus to iPhone 7. Once the novelty of a more portable device wore off, I regretted the change almost immediately and changed up again to an 8 Plus at the earliest opportunity.

Reactions: mpshah27

UrbanGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
DFW, Texas
When the X came out I went to it from my 7 plus. Only because the Max wasn’t out. Bad move. I liked the smaller size for just carrying around but I really need the bigger screen. So I went to the Pro Max. I can’t go back to a smaller size for my eyes.

mpshah27

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
My input does not involve the phones in the topic title, but;

Yes. Some time ago I switched from iPhone 6S Plus to iPhone 7. Once the novelty of a more portable device wore off, I regretted the change almost immediately and changed up again to an 8 Plus at the earliest opportunity.
So right. Totally agree with you on this. Once the honeymoon phase is over you start missing the bigger screen. I guess it’s all about getting used to the size.

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
Always had the normal sized X/XS phones, I got the pro as an upgrade, its good, there are a few little things that bother me like the camera lenses, usually to avoid blurry photos I wipe the lenses, this is harder with each camera having an independent lens. iOS 13 is the biggest issue for me being a bit buggy at the moment.

Spacial audio is impressive when not using headphones, and the screen is brilliant as always. Losing 3D touch is taking a little bit of getting used to.

OutGolfn

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
I went from Xs max to the 11 Pro. I’ve alternated each year. Having the same power chip and increased battery life in a relatively small form factor is outstanding. I think an iPhone mini in the 4.7-5 inch screen size like the iPhone 7, but with the design of iPad Pro with OLED edge to edge with A13 bionic would be amazing! Modern iPhone SE on steroids

uller6

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Since the iPhone 8 all the the glass-backed iPhones have been too slippery for me to use naked. I briefly had an 8+ and it was too big to fit in my pocket with a case. I've been on the XR and now 11 since and they're a good middle ground choice.

Strokee

macrumors member
May 13, 2018
I switched from the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus to the iPhone X. I missed the bigger screen. When the iPhone XS Max released, I switched to it. I liked the screen size, but that phone was/is too heavy; too bulky. I’m active, I run/walk a lot and am in the gym 5 days per week. It became tiresome lugging that brick around. I switched to the 11 Pro 2 months ago and I love it. It’s “portable” but not small. I don’t miss the bigger screen size, as 5.8” is not small. It fits in pockets, car cup holder and my hands! I’m 6’3”, I have decent sized hands, but the XS Max is a brick.

I’m worried about the 2020 iPhones. 6.7” is just too big. 5.4” is too small. It’s closer to the SE than the XS/11 Pro, and that’s a little kid’s toy. The 6.1” is ok, but it’s compromised spec-wise. I’m not buying the compromised model.

I feel like I’m going to have to miss out on 5G, promotion display, redesign, etc in 2020 just because the pro sizes are too extreme in both directions and the only decent sized phone for normal users is compromised in specs.

Reactions: xxray

TimothyL

macrumors regular
May 4, 2019
I went from 6s plus to X and now to 11. The 11 is a good In-between size for me