Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I have been with Verizon for quite a while but got tired of the semi expensive bills. A little while back here I made the leap to T-Mobile and I love it. I was with them before and not sure why I left but anyways I’m back. But that’s not the good part. While with Verizon I was using the XS Max and it was and is an amazing phone. However I’ve seen several reviews about the XR and decided to give it a shot. Well I LOVE this phone. I feel like I didn’t lose that much screen real estate at all. Maybe about four tenths of an inch...maybe but hardly noticeable. The main thing about this phone that is awesome is the battery! Two consecutive days of taking it off the charge at 7:45am and not having to charge it up until about 2am is impressive. Mind you I have all my apps on here that I had on my XS Max(minus the Verizon apps obviously) and it functions smoothly! Also for some reason it fits noticeable easier in my hand than the Max. I was hung up on the size of the device for some reason but it’s really not that noticeable. I have a few friends who have this phone and all of them recommended it. The biggest test for me was the camera and the camera test surprised me as well. Doing my comparison on Apple’s website I saw that there were some minor difference between the two camera wise but after taking several pics you can hardly tell the difference. Having the XR makes me realize that I don’t have to go out and have the high end iPhone anymore and this might be the reason Apple stalled on the release of the XR until the public snatched up the Max and regular XS. My advice to anyone switching carriers, doing an upgrade or coming over to Apple is heavily consider the XR when eyeing the iPhone line up. In my honest opinion you can’t go wrong and you’ll save yourself a ton of money.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah I had to switch from a Max to the Xr because my migraine condition was triggered by the tweaks Apple makes in the specifications to the OLED display. I really enjoyed the size of the Xr, though I do find it heavy compared to my Android phones. But overall it’s a really nice phone at a good price point in Apple’s lineup. I’ve tried the smaller iPhone X and felt a bit constrained on the display (for texting) and with the battery life.

The Max was very generous and definitely “to the Max” on everything. There was just a bit more of a luxury feel and look to it.

But the real comfort, for me anyway, was to be found in the Xr. And I much appreciate the price difference. I don’t feel I sacrificed much, if anything substantial, going to the lower price point.

Reactions: jjohnstonjr

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Xr is where it’s at, except for all but diehards.

I happen to be a diehard hence my Xs Max. However my family are more than happy with their Xr’s and could give a flip about the differences.

There’s something for everyone. Welcome back to team Magenta.

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
I know 3 people with XR's and they all love it. I honestly think its the best phone in Apple's line up right now. I have the Max but if I could do it all over again I would definitely pick up a Product Red XR

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I have been using OLED Displays since 2010, and love the high resolution density of the XS Max while having a larger display and the 2x Optical Zoom comes in handy.

XR is a fantastic device but I would not leave my XS Max for it!
I felt the same way until I got my hands on a Max

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For value versus features with the XR, you can’t go wrong with that phone. The only real complaint(s) [On Macrumors] I hear about the XR is the thickness and the weight, but to me, that’s really negligible if you’re going to add a case anyways, which would add weight and the thickness has only been complained about on here.

drmeatball

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
Ellicott City, MD
Took a similar path. Also had the XS Max, returned it on day 14, just couldn’t stomach the cost.

Loving the XR. Never really liked the AMOLED (or whatever) screens, had a Nexus 6 that had burned out and ghost pixels. Wouldn’t mind the slightly larger screen of the Max, but I prefer the technology of the XR to the Max.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
What happened to the "it has a low res screen!!!"

Everyday people don't care about specs, the XR is a great phone and the screen is perfectly fine.

I already have an XS Max but maybe I should have gotten the XR,I really like the blue.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I started with a XR this year and ended up returning it for a XS. Having come from a X I wasn't a fan of the size and the thicker bezels bothered me a lot more than they should have.

Reactions: dominiongamma

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What happened to the "it has a low res screen!!!"

Everyday people don't care about specs, the XR is a great phone and the screen is perfectly fine.

I already have an XS Max but maybe I should have gotten the XR,I really like the blue.

The ‘low res’ argument was for those who were trying using frivolous leverage to try to bash the XR anyway possible, it didn’t work. The reality being, there is even tests conducted on YouTube for average consumers who could _not_ even differentiate the difference between the LCD display on the XR versus the OLED display on the XS.

Reactions: compwiz1202

WingsAndBeer

Cancelled
May 24, 2019
The only subpixel that is 458 ppi in the XS line is the green subpixel. The red and blue are 324.

The XR has 326 PPI across all subpixels. That's why average consumers can barely tell a difference. The resolution argument is garbage.

XR is the best iPhone for the money right now, no doubt. Coming from an 8 Plus user.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
The only subpixel that is 458 ppi in the XS line is the green subpixel. The red and blue are 324.

The XR has 326 PPI across all subpixels. That's why average consumers can barely tell a difference. The resolution argument is garbage.

XR is the best iPhone for the money right now, no doubt. Coming from an 8 Plus user.

Holding both side by side , my eyes beg to differ. Quite a noticeable difference. But the XR screen isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Quite usable really.

But whether the difference is worth the extra money remains to be seen. The XR is pretty expensive to begin with, and the XS Max/XS is priced like a Prada handbag!

Looking forward to see the 2019 line up.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Being of the savvy, I can definitely tell a difference in screens. Print on the Xs Max is inky almost floats on the screen. Xr is simply standard fare.

Again though, that's cause I'm of the "not normal" class. My 3 family members who have the Xr are beyond happy, and in their mind we essentially have the same phone.

I MUST have the BEST PHONE PERIOD!!!

Reactions: I7guy

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
But whether the difference is worth the extra money remains to be seen. The XR is pretty expensive to begin with, and the XS Max/XS is priced like a Prada handbag!

Looking forward to see the 2019 line up.

I don’t mind spending £1000 on an iPhone but a handbag NO WAY! £10 is my limit these days.

Reactions: Shanghaichica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.