iPhone 11 Pro XS Max vs 11 Pro (5.8) Weight

manhattanmania

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Hey everyone. Hope y’all are enjoying your new phones! I’m a bit frazzled. Have a XS Max and got a 5.8” 11 Pro as I was over the size/weight of the Max, personally. However when I opened the 11 Pro I was taken aback by how heavy it felt. I think bc the weight is in a smaller physical package, therefore it’s denser and actually feels heavier than my XS Max, even tho it isn’t. Now I’m extremely confused and have ordered a Pro Max for pickup. Anyone else feel similarly?! Weight vs density is a real psych

Reactions: iObama and yaboid01

tjhassan

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Yes, noticed it too. I think they feel about the same weight now, due to the smaller footprint of the 11 pro I suppose. I’m curious how’d you fare with Pro Max.

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
You’ve just ordered a heavier iPhone in a size you’re “over”. 😬

Predicting you’ll stick with the 11 Pro after you get used to its weight.

laestrella

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
Pro max to me is noticeably heavier than the XS Max. It’s one of the main reasons I’m thinking of returning it. I also have a regular 11 and it’s so nice to have a lighter and smaller phone. I was thinking of doing the 11 pro but now reconsidering if that also feels heavier.

manhattanmania

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
You’ve just ordered a heavier iPhone in a size you’re “over”. 😬

Predicting you’ll stick with the 11 Pro after you get used to its weight.
Haha, I know. I’m not over the screen size, just the weight and one-handed usability. But even tho the Pro Max is heavier, I have a feeling the same dynamic is going to play out. It’s in a larger physical space, so less dense and “lighter.” We’ll see!
- - Post merged: - -

Pro max to me is noticeably heavier than the XS Max. It’s one of the main reasons I’m thinking of returning it. I also have a regular 11 and it’s so nice to have a lighter and smaller phone. I was thinking of doing the 11 pro but now reconsidering if that also feels heavier.
It’s really a very strange thing. Thought I was crazy but my roommate agreed. He has a XS (regular) and you can def also feel the diff comparing that to the 11 Pro.

Reactions: iObama

mpshah27

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
I totally get what the OP is saying.

XS Max user here, got the 11 Pro Max yesterday (Launch day) and right out of the box it felt heavier. Told myself I’ll get used to it but this afternoon on my way back home visited the Apple Store and compared both the pro’s again. Somehow the smaller sibling feels way more better in hand with that weight, just feels very sturdy (not that the XS or X weren’t). Lo and behold landed up buying the 11 Pro since we have 2 week return period.

Going to give both a week each and then decide.

Reactions: yaboid01 and larzy

larzy

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
Had the X (as there was no bigger size back then) and then the Xs Max, and probably would have gone with the 11 Pro Max if the weight had stayed the same or decreased. It’s a great phone and the screen size is amazing.
Some may say that going from 208g to 226g isn’t a big deal, but since the footprint has only changed a little, it feels heavier. And at the same time it’s a bit of a handful. So I went with the normal 11 Pro - and even though I keep going back and forth in my mind if I shouldn’t have gone with the Max, I think I made the right choice.

But happy to hear others are having the same dilemma - first world problem I know 🤪

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I was over the size/weight of the Max, personally. However when I opened the 11 Pro I was taken aback by how heavy it felt.
its like 22 grams heavier. Im strictly adamant about not getting another phone heavier than my Max so i've completely written off this phone.

Edit: sorry I thought you were speaking about the pro max (these names I swear....) if you're struggling with the pro, the pro max is only going to be worse.

manhattanmania

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Had the X (as there was no bigger size back then) and then the Xs Max, and probably would have gone with the 11 Pro Max if the weight had stayed the same or decreased. It’s a great phone and the screen size is amazing.
Some may say that going from 208g to 226g isn’t a big deal, but since the footprint has only changed a little, it feels heavier. And at the same time it’s a bit of a handful. So I went with the normal 11 Pro - and even though I keep going back and forth in my mind if I shouldn’t have gone with the Max, I think I made the right choice.

But happy to hear others are having the same dilemma - first world problem I know 🤪
Well folks, I’ve picked up my Pro Max. Played with both sizes in store. For me, the weight increase on the Max size was far less noticeable than the density of the 5.8” Pro. There’s just something about having the weight spread out in the bigger physical body that makes it feel lighter to me. I’m well aware that, obviously, the Max is heavier by weight. It’s a psychological effect. Gonna stick w the Max size. I’ll prob change my mind again in a few hours - before yesterday I was ADAMANT I would never do Max size again o_O

Risonanza78

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
My last device was an xs Max, but after the pre order 11pro max, when i was at Apple store, i had prefer 11 pro 5,8, it is very portabl, and when arrive The summed is a problem to bring it with u, if you dont have a bag.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
The increase in weight is a better trade off for larger screen and battery. The weight has never been an issues as it doesn’t impede my daily activities. I tend to walk the same speed. My car doesn’t seem to be any slower with it. My arm/hand doesn’t get more tired. Maybe it’s just me. 🤷‍♂️

Techman82

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
It's going to be heavier, the pro max, it's 226g, if you get a folio leather case and temperd glass screen protector just as an example you're now carrying nearly 300g, I've gone for the 5.8" and a esr clear gel case and that brings the weight to about 215g, which is enough, 300g is crazy as far as mobile is concerned.

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
I think because the footprint of the max is larger you’re spreading your palms and fingers out more to balance the size, so it feels “less” heavy. The regular pro has a smaller footprint that sinks more into your palm, and your fingers can wrap more around it, thus, making you more aware of its weight.

laestrella

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I just ordered the 11 pro for in store pickup. Don’t think I can manage with an already larger phone being heavier.

Techman82

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
I don't believe that to be the case, if anything it's alot more manageable having a smaller footprint and less weight, the max will be top heavy, heavy holding sideways, taking pics with 1 hand will be easier as using the phone will, I went from a 7 plus to my current 8 plus and I immediately noticed the weight difference, 14g, which is also what the regular 11 pro is, 188g, and there's a big difference in the two pro models, 188g vs 226g, 38g.

austyn23

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2017
For my taste a phone over 150g starts to be annoying. The ip8 is the max weight I like (the ip7 even better).

For a phone 200g is absurd...

(Gym jokes in 3, 2...)

Reactions: tjhassan

manhattanmania

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
It's going to be heavier, the pro max, it's 226g, if you get a folio leather case and temperd glass screen protector just as an example you're now carrying nearly 300g, I've gone for the 5.8" and a esr clear gel case and that brings the weight to about 215g, which is enough, 300g is crazy as far as mobile is concerned.
Always naked for me :)
- - Post merged: - -

I think because the footprint of the max is larger you’re spreading your palms and fingers out more to balance the size, so it feels “less” heavy. The regular pro has a smaller footprint that sinks more into your palm, and your fingers can wrap more around it, thus, making you more aware of its weight.
Yes! Agree.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I upgraded from the X to the 11 pro max I really noticed the weight difference but I am getting use to the difference and I am happy with the new screen size and battery life.