iPhone XS XS vs X battery life general consensus

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Is the XS battery life better or worse? I know its hard to gauge this one especially since many X’s out there have 300 cycles on them already and if you compare your experience to last yr it was iOS 11. but for those that used both what were your thoughts. Thanks

Last edited:

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
It’s been been worse, due to antenna issues and 300 cycles so far is insane. The phone had been out for like 2 months even if you had it on launch day that’s roughly 5 charges a day.

If the battery lasts 5-5 hrs if those were all “full” charges that’s more than a days use.

I personally don’t agree with always connecting in the car or using Apple carplay unless it’s a long ride even then I stick with Bluetooth and only plug in if I need it.

aakshey

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2016
It’s been been worse, due to antenna issues and 300 cycles so far is insane. The phone had been out for like 2 months even if you had it on launch day that’s roughly 5 charges a day.

If the battery lasts 5-5 hrs if those were all “full” charges that’s more than a days use.

I personally don’t agree with always connecting in the car or using Apple carplay unless it’s a long ride even then I stick with Bluetooth and only plug in if I need it.
He obv means 300 cycles on launch X phones. Not XS phones dude.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2014
Replaced an X with XS, noticing the same battery life for both. Actually, I give a SLIGHT edge to the XS, I notice I have a little more battery after the gym, bluetooth, and using the podcast app on the way to work.

Reactions: metsjetsfan

Ahiqar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Fox Cities, WI
I bought an X new in Early November and used it for a week. I returned it for an Xs after that week. I experienced better battery life on the Xs from the very beginning. Not a huge difference, but noticeably better.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My X still was at 100% battery health after a year of use charging via wireless every night. Have to be suspicious about Apple's battery health when a device is still 100% after a year. I lost trust in it.

Too early to tell about my MAX.

As far as battery use, they get about the same and one is not much greater than the other.

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Personally, my X had better battery life then my Xs. The Xs is the first iPhone I have had that I regretted upgrading to (not that it is bad, it is just not enough to justify). Even the 7->8 was a more worthwhile upgrade then the X->Xs.

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014
I only had the XS for a short period after launch but I never noticed any differences in battery life between the X and XS

Between the X and XS Max, yes

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
XS

5 hrs 45 mins screen on with an hour of that on phone calls still 12% left. What do you all think?

If I recall that’s about what the X was giving me

Reactions: metsjetsfan

aakshey

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2016
Tap to wake / Hey Siri / Background App Refresh - Off

Everything else - On

4% drain over 6-8 hrs overnight, 78% to 74%.

Still seems too high for a X.

It should have been 2% max with all of the above on. What do you guys think?
[doublepost=1543819149][/doublepost]
Hmm, sounds like I should get the xs max....I am coming from a 8 plus
Acc to the tests I have seen, XS and XS Max are very close. Not much difference. But XS is like 20% to 25% better than XS.

Max is like 5% better than XS.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Not trying to hijack the thread but I also wonder between the battery in the XS v the XR. Wonder which one is better?

Devyn89

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
My Xs is noticeably better but I think that it stems mostly from being a new battery vrs my year old iPhone X which was down to 89% battery health when I sold it.

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
Tap to wake / Hey Siri / Background App Refresh - Off

Everything else - On

4% drain over 6-8 hrs overnight, 78% to 74%.

Still seems too high for a X.

It should have been 2% max with all of the above on. What do you guys think?
My X also seem to drain 5%-7% 8-9 hours overnight, that is not normal? I have nothing running background (I always swipe up to close programs I don't use at the moment).

During use battery goes down about 12% per hour when using Safari to surf internet with display brightness bar around the same level as the sun icon where you do the adjustment. During 30 minute phone call battery dropped about 4%. Does that sound abnormal?

Sometimes battery level goes down faster, like when phone has not been used for a while and you pick it up, it may go down pretty fast 2% and when you keep using it, it can drop another 1% pretty fast and then maybe after 5 minutes stabilize more and then go gradually down 1% every 4-5 minutes of use. That is most noticeable in the morning when I pick up the phone and if battery was like 70% when I first turned the screen on, it would be down 3-4% percent after 5-6 minutes, and then go more gradually downwards every 4-5 minutes.

aakshey

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2016
My X also seem to drain 5%-7% 8-9 hours overnight, that is not normal? I have nothing running background (I always swipe up to close programs I don't use at the moment).

During use battery goes down about 12% per hour when using Safari to surf internet with display brightness bar around the same level as the sun icon where you do the adjustment. During 30 minute phone call battery dropped about 4%. Does that sound abnormal?

Sometimes battery level goes down faster, like when phone has not been used for a while and you pick it up, it may go down pretty fast 2% and when you keep using it, it can drop another 1% pretty fast and then maybe after 5 minutes stabilize more and then go gradually down 1% every 4-5 minutes of use. That is most noticeable in the morning when I pick up the phone and if battery was like 70% when I first turned the screen on, it would be down 3-4% percent after 5-6 minutes, and then go more gradually downwards every 4-5 minutes.
This seems normal on iOS 12.
[doublepost=1543937997][/doublepost]
My Xs is noticeably better but I think that it stems mostly from being a new battery vrs my year old iPhone X which was down to 89% battery health when I sold it.
Nope. It’s because your X was on iOS 12.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
This seems normal on iOS 12.
[doublepost=1543937997][/doublepost]

Nope. It’s because your X was on iOS 12.
No actually it isn’t, I was having the same battery drain before I updated to iOS 12

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
I guess I can relax and not worry about that. Like I mentioned in another threads my X came with peculiar low charge out of the box and it was manufactured 5 months ago, so I was worried about battery might have taken some hit due to that. My wife's X seems to keep its charge longer but I guess she's using it much less than I, because she is charging every 3-4 days, while I can barely go 2 days. Only that damn clicking from the casing is driving me crazy. Does case on yours make any sounds if you apply pressure on screen or back cover or slightly twist the phone?

aakshey

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2016
I guess I can relax and not worry about that. Like I mentioned in another threads my X came with peculiar low charge out of the box and it was manufactured 5 months ago, so I was worried about battery might have taken some hit due to that. My wife's X seems to keep its charge longer but I guess she's using it much less than I, because she is charging every 3-4 days, while I can barely go 2 days. Only that damn clicking from the casing is driving me crazy. Does case on yours make any sounds if you apply pressure on screen or back cover or slightly twist the phone?
Don’t know what that means. But never witnessed that.

I charge my phone when it reaches around 50-70%. I charge my phone at least twice a day.

If I were to let it go to 0, on some days a single charge may do while on others it might not.