iPhone XS Xs vs Xs Max Camera - Are they really the same?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pixel_junkie, Oct 22, 2018.

1. pixel_junkie macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

I had a Xs and went to a Xs Max. Shot a ton of portrait mode pics with the Xs when I had it and was super impressed. Now that I have the Max, I'm a little underwhelmed. I could be losing my mind but to me, there's a difference and the Xs is better.

With the Xs, I'd always push the f/ stop to a faster setting with great results. With the Max, I find myself going the opposite way and the I'm getting mixed results at the default setting of f/4.5 (background separation is a bit sloppy, not as defined).

Anyone else notice this or I need to get my head examined?

2. treyhunnid macrumors regular

treyhunnid

3. pixel_junkie thread starter macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

Something is different. Had XS, went to Max and now I’m back to XS. Portrait mode does not produce the same photos, absolutely certain of it. Regular XS is better. I can’t prove it but I look at photos all day for living (for the past 20 years), difference is there.

4. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

How about you put up two pictures and let the wider audience have a look at what you’re looking at?!

5. pixel_junkie thread starter macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

Nope. I shoot my son most often. Same distances, about 3-4 feet, on the Max I was stopping down to about f/7 to get balanced background separation. On the regular Xs, I’m at f/1.8 to get similar look. Also, on the Max, that effect is somewhat sloppy, on the regular Xs it’s perfect.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Don't know what to tell you, I have them both also and they are the exact same.

7. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

Matter of perspective? For me it was the complete opposite because I felt I could actually see more details in pictures on the screen on the Max

8. pixel_junkie thread starter macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

Maybe. I’m going to test this at my local apple store and will post the pics for you all to see.