Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warragul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I'm playing with an Xserve 1,1 (2x2GHz dual core). All was going well until one day the fans for the CPUs and RAM stopped coming on. Everything runs as normal but, naturally, the heat builds up and things start to go wrong.
Everything else is OK. I've swapped in a known-good power supply. I can't imagine that something could stop all the fans (they can apparently run at different speeds, if necessary) except a controller failure.
Service Source doesn't tell me where the controller is; it doesn't even have a "all fans off" symptom.
Does anyone have experience in this area?

warragul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Did some more reading on the web and in Service Source.
The fans plug directly into a board 630-7497 that the power supplies also plug into. Broke a nail getting it out but on the underside I found my old enemy, embrittlement. The solder around the pins in the socket was work-hardened by vibration to the point that two adjacent pins, apparently joined by the ground land, read open circuit.
Tomorrow, when the light is better and my eyes are fresh, I'll practice again the ancient art of solder reflowing.

warragul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
How much is your time worth? There are pallets of them going for $50 - $75 per server on US eBay. Have you checked Aus?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

There weren't so many Xserves sold here and so they sell for AU$150 or so (~UD$110) for the early ones on eBay. Pallets of them are not something I've seen on ebay.com.au. Freight/time would be the issue if buying from the US and a surprising number of sellers are still unaware that there is a world outside the US.

My time is my own (up to a point) because I'm retired. Besides, a bug like this gives me a chance to see if my technique is still valid. The lack of spares for diagnostic swaps is a big drawback. Have to go slowly.

Thanks again for your input.

Reactions: Les Kern
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.