Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osxster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Hello,

I just upgraded my Xserve 3,1 to the W5590 3.32 Xeon processors on Mojave. They seem to work fine, however one thing I notice is that the fans seem to go full blast after installing these CPU's. I read this is 'normal' in the MacPro if the CPU tray is wrong or only a single CPU installed. I installed Macs Fan Control to try to control them, however I was able to only control 4 of the 5 fans. Temperature according to Macs Fan Control shows the temperatures under 50C which is what I had before the upgrade. However it is fan no 4 which is the uncontrollable one via Macs Fan Control, and that fan only blows on the memory.

Anyone know of any tricks to fix this via software? I only have problems controlling IN4 and OUT4, and I'd hate to have to run with my older Xeons to keep this thing quiet. The Xserve really isn't that loud when the fans are on low, but when the fans (even only one pair) are at 4000 - 4500 RPM, this thing screams. I posted a note on Git Hub too, just curious if people on here have problems too.

ezylstra

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2017
The only time I had fans running uncontrollably at full speed was when a piece of debris had wedged one of the fans so it couldn't turn. The rest of the fans shot up to 100 percent.

osxster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
The only time I had fans running uncontrollably at full speed was when a piece of debris had wedged one of the fans so it couldn't turn. The rest of the fans shot up to 100 percent.

Hello,

Have you installed the w5590 3.32 Xeons in your xServe before? I seem to only have this problem with those CPU ‘s in my box.

Osxstrr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.