Xserve across 2 locations

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by boch82, Oct 13, 2010.

1. boch82 macrumors 6502

Looking to set up a server for use with FCP and AfterEffects across multiple locations.

If anyone has any experience with editing and rendering using xserve from multiple locations please PM me.

2. Silas1066 macrumors regular

What kind of wide-area link connects these two sites?

Are you using Open Directory with shared libraries, etc.?

3. boch82 thread starter macrumors 6502

We are looking into different options for video storage to connect 2 college campuses. They are connected already (i think through fiber). We would need to add an additional server and was wondering how the xserve will work into this.

4. Silas1066 macrumors regular

well the XServes would be used for authentication (creating network users), file sharing (multimedia files, etc) and shared libraries (applications, etc)

A fiber link should be LAN speed or greater, so bandwidth and response should not be a problem. You can also use QoS in the network to prioritize multimedia traffic if necessary.

If Open Directory is configured, I would make one server the OD Master, and the 2nd a replica -they will sync across the fiber links.