Xserve G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Des Zac, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Des Zac macrumors regular

Would an XServe G4 be good enough to host a 7-10 person Minecraft server? Why/Why not?

Thanks a lot,

-Zach

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

I don't know a lot about mraftraft, but I know that any modern software will not run too well on an Xserve G4. If minecraft was around five years ago, then it would be a yes.

4. Des Zac thread starter macrumors regular

What does that have to do with anything? Can't you use Java on Leopard? I know you can play Minecraft on Macs.

5. goMac macrumors 603

Java is slow.

It'll be even slower on an XServe G4. :p

I've run a 2 person Minecraft server on my 2008 Mac Pro and it wanted a fair amount of RAM, and produced a pretty consistent 5-10% CPU load. An XServe G4 would certainly be cutting it close.

6. Des Zac thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, Okay, thanks anyways.

7. aednichols macrumors member

aednichols

I have tried hosting a Minecraft server on a G4 machine (Dual 1.0 Power Mac) and I can tell you with great certainty that it's not a viable idea. It's unplayable with even one person connected. :cool:

8. Des Zac thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, okay, what would you guys suggest, would a G5 be good enough or would you not even suggest a PPC?

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

10. aednichols macrumors member

aednichols

If you're looking to stick with Mac hardware, a semi-recent Intel Mac mini would probably be the way to go - and they can often be had cheaper than G5 towers.

11. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

This thread has given me some ideas...to ebay I go...

12. Des Zac thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks for all the help guys, now to see how cheap I can get a newer Mac Mini for :p

13. Beryl12 macrumors newbie

What about installing Linux on a G4 then the Minecraft server?

14. CptSky macrumors regular

Still running in the JVM... Java is not really optimized... A simple program can take a lot of RAM and CPU for no reason, so a game server ? You would have less resources allocated to the OS X front-end, GUI, utils, but I doubt it will be enough powerful to do the job.

I know few people working on a C# emulator of Minecraft, but Mono is not ported to PPC. It would need a C++ emulator of Minecraft to be viable on an Xserve G4.

N.B. Leopard uses the JVM 1.5 which is different from the 1.6/1.7 ones. Few Java programs will have weird problems when running on an old PPC Mac due to the old version of the JVM.