Xserve G5/2.0Ghz vs. G5/2.0Ghz Cluster Node

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by GetBentOnIt, Nov 28, 2009.

1. GetBentOnIt macrumors newbie

So I am about to make my first purchase of an xserve. I am a bit new to the server world so I don't know much about the different set ups and arrangements.

There are three G5/2.0Ghz cluster node xserves that I can buy but I was wondering if I could use one of them on its own as a server or maybe two. I have read about the different types of servers and am still not sure what kind of setup would be optimal.

I want to use the server as a file server for my photographs and to be able to host several small websites for me and my sister.

If you guys can give me any input on what setup would make sense for such a use and if one of two Xserve G5/2.0Ghz cluster node would be a good choice to purchase please let me know.

Thanks.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The Cluster Node is exactly the same machine with just a single hard drive bay, so nothing for storing data. The standard xServe came with three bays.

Anyway, for storing photos or hosting small websites I would not consider buying such a xServe.
    There are to may drawbacks that come with such a machine.
    They are noisy, heavy, expensive, out of warranty and consume too much energy.

Unless you want to hook up a xRaid via FibreChannel to the xServe, I think you'd be better with a readymade NAS, DIY storage server or maybe a MacMini.