xserve G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mmagbee, Apr 30, 2009.

1. mmagbee macrumors member

my xserve G5 has solid amber system indicator light. I do not see a key on what that means... 2-4 blinks i see a cause... anyone know what the solid means?

I tried the holding the button until the lights turn blue .. but nothing

ANy help is appriciated

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

That's the standard system error light.

Assuming you're running OSX Server (don't know how you could not be), fire up Server Monitor and point it to your XServe's network address (or localhost if you're running it directly on the XServe)--it should tell you what is generating the error.

One definite possible is a RAM error; if it was recoverable due to the ECC, the XServe would keep running smoothly, but it will throw an error. Could be a random glitch--they happen occasionally--or could be a sign of failing hardware.

I say this because I just lost a stick of RAM on our work XServe G5 after it started throwing an increasing number of ECC errors.

If someone else is running Server Monitor it's also possible they just clicked the System Identifier Light button and there's nothing wrong--you can turn that light on manually to help you figure out which physical XServe in a full rack you're talking to.

3. mmagbee thread starter macrumors member

Nice ... good info.
    The system does not seem to boot though. It fires up and the fans spin on high. I was unaware i could hit the server monitor that way. I tried target disk mode.

If its still possible .. let me know. Thanks again. I will try some mem

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ok, you didn't mention that it wouldn't even boot; Server Monitor does rely on the OS for info, so that may not help. Though if the fans spin up it's at least possible it's getting far enough into the boot process to give status to Server Monitor.

Does it have a graphics card in it? If so, what does a monitor connected show? The yellow indicator light will, I assume, only flash a code if it fails the hardware check before beginning the boot process--if it's booting partway then panicking or otherwise freezing, the light probably won't tell you anything.

Swapping out RAM (or just moving it to another slot--I've heard of slots failing) is a relatively easy thing to try, though, so it's probably worth a shot. Otherwise see if it'll boot from a system disk--might be a bad drive.