Xserve inquiry

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBH928, Feb 15, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello,

I just want to know if there are any advantage of using Apple's Xserve over say a standard linux server for example.
    I understand the desktop issue, but can you tell me why would go out of my way to get Xserve?
    I really am new to this whole servers thing.

I didn't find a special server forums, I must have overlooked it .

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Mac OS X Server (the operating system that the Xserve runs) is primarily a competitor to Windows Server, not Linux. It's used in business LANs and video/audio production and hosting/streaming environments. If you want to run a web server, there is absolutely no benefit to using Mac OS X Server over Ubuntu Server or another flavour of Linux.

Of course, like other server operating systems, Mac OS X Server will run on any Mac that meets the system requirements. Xserve is just designed with that purpose in mind.

3. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hmmm...
    is the Xserve successful on sales?
    we hardly hear about it , like macbook air
    thats how things go in Apple before they die.
    I remember AppleWorks had the same path

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Given the substantial improvements in OSX Server 10.6, I don't think Apple is ready to get out of the server business yet--on the contrary, they're mainstreaming it with the new mini server.

They could, I suppose, be planning on shifting to more consumer-oriented hardware, but I don't think that's the case--they just don't talk about the Xserve because it's not the sort of product you have any reason to widely advertise or talk up to the public. When was the last time you saw a public announcement or ad for an HP Proliant or Dell Poweredge? The margins are also, I expect, quite high, and the development work can, I'm guessing, be mostly re-used from the Mac Pros.

As for why you'd buy one, while they're oriented toward small-to-medium business services or media serving, and positioned against Windows server, I think it's an overstatement to say that OSX server offers nothing at all over Linux for a webserver. The turnkey nature, easy setup, and very nice GUI does provide an advantage over other packaged Linux servers, in my opinion, though of course it can't compete with roll-your-own Linux boxes on price.

If nothing else the hardware is very nice--we're running a 1st gen G5 Xserve at work mainly as a file/print/distributed account server (does also offer FTP and simple Windows workgroup services), and it's run smoothly 24/7 for the past six years, give or take.

Certainly, if I were setting up a server today, the Xserve would be on my short list of options.

As for sales figures, Apple only breaks down unit sales into "desktop" and portable categories, so unless I've missed the figures there's nothing published for how many Xserves they sell.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Selling an Xserve often doesn't just involve a single-unit sale. They're designed to be used in Mac or mixed Mac/PC environments, whereas Windows Server is designed with only Windows in mind. Because Mac OS X Server enables Macs to be used as effective office machines, running a Mac network allows companies to invest in tons of desktop Macs to accompany the server(s). If Apple is only breaking even on the entire project, they're still doing well.

6. jagger27 macrumors member

It boils down to what you want to accomplish with it. If you want to run basic SQL, HTTP, and file services, a Linux server is enough for anyone. Like said above, if you run Final Cut servers in a production environment, a handful of XServes would be great.

7. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

Xserve is really intended for a corporate (100+ user) environment or heavy data/video editing with an Xsan/RAID array attached.

For regular "server" or small business use, the new Mini Snow Leopard Server is ideal.

As for Xserve not being talked about, it typically gets bumps at a similar timeline to the Mac Pro.

My brother works for Apple Corporate and deploys OS X based IT solutions for Gov & Commercial work, and is quite busy setting up Xserves/OS X Server in that sort of environment.

So as far as it going away, I wouldn't see it happening any time soon.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution