Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Xserve Lights-Out Management Firmware Update 1.1

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has released Xserve Lights-Out Management Firmware Update 1.1.

What’s New in this Version
- This update includes changes to the Lights-Out Management environment of the Intel-based Xserve. It addresses the intermittent issue that causes the LOM port to be unresponsive. This update is strongly recommended for all Intel-based Xserve systems.

The Xserve Lights-Out Management Firmware Update 1.1 application has been installed into the /Applications/Server folder of the selected volume. You must then run the firmware update application to perform the update to the Xserve. You may run the update as an application in the Finder of the target Xserve or remotely from the command line.

More information can be found on Apple's website.

Article Link

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Shows that they have not forgot Xserve!

One small update to some firmware shows that ? Or that some customers got a bit vocal about a large order and they decided to oblige them.

I assume an Xserve update will come with updated Mac Pro's, as they use pretty much the same stuff.

Comment

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Xserves are no fun unless you get a dozen of them.
Still I'd take any spares that are on offer.

Comment

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
Are there still no dual quad-core XServes?

That's silly. Just about everybody else who makes x86 servers has 8-core 1U systems now. Unless they really have to have OS X server, why would anybody buy one of these rather than a cheper competing machine with twice the CPU power? Apple can get away with gouging people's eyes out in the desktop market because it has a genuine benefit (OS X) and style difference which ensures some people will overlook the huge cost differences.

In the server market, I don't think anybody cares what the machines look like, and why bother with OS X when nobody will ever see the interface? The BSDs and Linux are just as stable and suitable as server platforms.

Mind you, the fact that LOM has been broken for this long and nobody noticed tells you how many serious server farms are using XServes...

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Are there still no dual quad-core XServes?

That's silly. Just about everybody else who makes x86 servers has 8-core 1U systems now. Unless they really have to have OS X server, why would anybody buy one of these rather than a cheper competing machine with twice the CPU power? Apple can get away with gouging people's eyes out in the desktop market because it has a genuine benefit (OS X) and style difference which ensures some people will overlook the huge cost differences.

In the server market, I don't think anybody cares what the machines look like, and why bother with OS X when nobody will ever see the interface? The BSDs and Linux are just as stable and suitable as server platforms.

Mind you, the fact that LOM has been broken for this long and nobody noticed tells you how many serious server farms are using XServes...

Agreed. Also, Mac OS X Server pretty much sucks when it comes to server OS's. Yes, I unfortunately have plenty of experience with Mac OS X Server (both 10.3 and 10.4).

Comment

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005

I run my deptartment with 5 Xserve (PPC and Intel) machines and would not run any thing else. It's not what they look like. Sheesh.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.