Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mets0903

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Hi,

About a week back, I asked a question on this board about my organization's new xserve about what kind of rack to put it in and I recieved an excellent response...thanks!

But now I have another question...

The person that ordered the server neglected to have a video card installed into it, and therefore we seem to be left with a "headless" server. As most of you probably know, the xserve has two usb ports and a Male DB-9 port.

Any suggestions on how to connect a monitor or some kind of screen to it without having to install a video card? Is it possible?

Thanks again!

Mets0903

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
I don't think you'd want to completely set up an Xserve for the first time via a tty Terminal (the DB-9 serial port). You have to turn on various services, create all the user's accounts and so on. It'd prolly be easier/faster via GUI (it is a Mac server after all).

If at all possible get a video card from some Mac and pop it in when you setup the Xserve. Then get the Xserve's Admin Tools and install them on another Mac and after that you can remotely monitor and manage the Xserve from any networked Mac (with the tools).

After it is setup you really don't need to keep a video card in the Xserve, it will just burn up more power and put out more heat than you want/need in a rack.

mets0903

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Thanks for the response...

Will I be able to update / install software from a networked mac? Some of the software that we need to install will require constant updates...

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
The Server set up assistant allows you to completely configure the server remotely. you should be able to do this from any OS X computer. It's easier to be on the same subnet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.