xServe Raid performance

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nxfxcom, Oct 19, 2010.

1. nxfxcom macrumors regular

Hello,

i just set up xServe Raid at home, got the apple 4GB fibre card have the drive fully loaded with both ends configured as raid 5 and then stripped via Software Raid as Raid 0.

Now when i use the AJA disk speed tester, i only get a max of 180MB/s read performance. ANY IDEA WHY? Please help, i am trying to set up an autodesk smoke system! But this is way to slow!

PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE!

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Sounds about right for an Xserve. They're limited due to only having a SATA bus, rather than SATA II. I've seen them hitting around 200MB/s absolute peak, but they're usually down your end at 180-190.

Your choice of RAID arrays also has an impact on speed, with RAID 5 being a renowned culprit for killing speed.

EDIT: Talking write speeds here, your reads should be faster than writes.

3. nxfxcom thread starter macrumors regular

Should have done better research, was an impulse buy! Okay i guess i need to find a better storage solution then for Smoke!

Thanks

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The real issue is that Xserve RAIDs have been discontinued a good while now, and simply aren't up there any more. Changing your RAID arrangement may help somewhat, but for the speeds up at what you want, try something like the CalDigit HDPro.

http://www.caldigit.com/HDPro/hdpro_performance.html

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I'd really ask nanofrog before making any decisions!
    I recall him saying that the Caldigit devices are rubbish. Slow, expensive and not compatible with other hardware.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Wouldn't say they're slow, and I've only used them on Macs...

That said, I do agree that there's a bazillion choices out there for RAID arrays.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Well, 400/330MB/s for a 8 bay RAID 5 array that retails at $3500 in the minimum config (2TB)...

Considering that price, I'd call that slow!

The Stardom ST8-U5 unit is good for 1500MB/s (with the right controller and SSD drives) and 800MB/s in a RAID 5 with mechanical drives. Definitely the better option if you ask me, not only because the CalDigit device works ONLY with their own card and no other cards, hence is incompatible with other systems.

And best of all, if costs only $675 (without RAID card).