Xserve & Xserve RAID Updated

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple quietly updated the Xserve and Xserve RAID lines today to allow for the adoption of larger 500GB hard drives.

The new Xserve 1U rack-optimized server can now support up to 3 500GB hard drives, maxing out at 1.5TB of in-box storage. Pricing for the server starts at $2999.

The new Xserve RAID can also accept the larger 500GB hard drives, maxing out at 7TB of storage. Pricing for the RAID starts at $5999.

An Xserve refresh was recently rumored on this Page 2 post.

tiiim

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
Doctor Q said:
Here's a maxed out order. Of course you can save $100 if you get a Combo drive instead of a SuperDrive!
well that makes it ok then..phew..

Well Apple's server hardware is great, 10.4 got the technology but now we need 10.5 to push Apple's server more mainstream.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
Jesus said:
[sarcasm]at least you get a good price/value on a maxed order. [/sarcasm]

It it really $34000???

incredible

Seriously though, a good upate, apple has now got THE most fanastical rack mounted server ever. all thew have to do is make tham easier to rack...

Jesus

True dat - Apple has a great Rack ! :D

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Exchange equivilent

I had a Apple sales rep suggest to me that Apple is working on an Exchange equivilent to add to the Xserve agenda. One of my company's complaints about buying into Xserve was the need for an Exchange replacement, and Commigate Pro and Kerio didn't seem strong enough to justify a switch.

So, either the rep was BS'n me or Apple might be readying a stronger push into the IT space. Let's hope it's the latter.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
combatcolin said:
Why are we commentating on a product that none of us have actually seen and even fewer will ever use?

:eek:
Hey, we have 2 Xserve RAIDs hooked up to the PowerMac G5 down in our lab - a 2.52 TB original model and a newer 5.6 TB model. With RAID 5 configuration and converting to base-2 TB, we get about 6.4 TB usable storage. Not too shabby! I use those puppies every day and I see them in person as least once a week. :D

Funny, as I was typing this, I got a SPAM email from MPAK storage at my work address (it infuriates me that they got my address - I've never given my work email to anyone but known colleagues :mad: ):

For 9.6 TB at under $15,000, you can't beat this deal!
Uh oh, I thought Xserve RAID was the one product where Apple had everyone else beat in absolute bang for the buck. By my calculations, that's a slightly better price per GB than the 7 TB XRAID. Better get to work, Apple! :eek: :rolleyes:

Village

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Austin, Tejas
combatcolin said:
Why are we commentating on a product that none of us have actually seen and even fewer will ever use?

:eek:
I'll never touch one, but it's just another bump to get me even more excited about Paris next week! I know nothing amazing will happen next Tuesday, but hopefully they give a good bump to the 15in Powerbook specs so that I can finally pull the trigger on my first Mac!

Pianowizard

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2005
powerbook update....?
powerbook update....?
powerbook update....?

hooray for the design houses and corporations that will benefit from this update. : )