XServer G5 worth it ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by mcnallym, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

With the price of XServe G5's being what they are is it worth getting one to run as a OSX Server for 10.5, or should I not bother if planning on getting a G5 if thinking of getting 10.6 Server when it launches.

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If you know you will not want/need any of the features of Snow Leopard Server then go for the G5 but if you do not know buy a used low end intel

3. mcnallym thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that was what I was thinking but just wanted someone to confirm that for me. Cheers

4. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

You would be better off with a Mac Mini. It is faster and has an Intel processor for future upgrades and software.

5. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

Stay with something that will run Snow Leopard. If your server is running 10.5, and all your other machines are on 10.6 I think there will be problems.

Plus, 10.6 server is supposed to be amazing.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

It all depends on what you are going to do with the server. Is it doing just email or serving files, web pages and then how many users and so on. The G5 has enough performance to do most of anything you'd need but

Someone said the Mac Mini was faster. Only if you only think about CPU speed. The CPU is not the bottle neck in most server applications. What you care more about is the speed of the disk system. Minim are very slow when it comes the disks. and you can't add fiber channel or esata controlers or even a second gigabit Either net port. Minis only work as servers in a very small network

7. mcnallym thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is going to be for a home server, however I intend on running the following.

RADIUS,
    PKI
    Wiki Server
    Mail
    iCal Server
    DNS
    Resharing NFS Sharepoints via AFP.
    Virtual HTPC Mac running ElgatoTV with HDHomerun DVB Tuner.
    itunes/elgatotv repository for Virtual HTPC and 2 mini's under TV
    Time Machine for MBPro Unibody and 2 mini's.

I believe that going to struggle with this on a mini.

I have been thinking of 3 possible solutions.

1.) 2nd Hand xserve G5 works well with Leopard Server, unsure for Snow Leopard Server but relatively cheap. Not much use afterwards.

2.) Refurb Mac Pro, works well, will work with Snow Leopard but expensive, also wandering about power drain if on 24/7.

:eek:3.) EFI-X box running OSX Server, on a DFI board with 45nm Quad Core, 8Gb RAM, 7300GT and Highpoint 3520 and 8 drives for disk controller. Know will work with Leopard Server, and boot from the 3520, also bonjour works on the DFI However will it work with Snow Leopard Server? Also not as nice as a real mac.

Only need the EFI-X box, CPU and motherboard, so cheap. and can reuse the OSX Server software with a genuine Mac if doesn't work out, so only the EFI-X would be wasted.

8. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

I would think that as a home server, the mini would do the job, but this depends on how many simultaneous connections you are expecting.

Keep in the mind that the Xserve is huge, noisy and power hungry. I wouldn't want one in my house unless I REALLY needed it.

The Mac Pro would be a pleasure to have at home. IMHO go Pro.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you have a separate room / closet?

Server class computers are loud due to high fan RPM.

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

They are very noisy, a freind of mine has one in his office and the fans sound like a wind tunnel.