xsi or nikon d80

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by glennyboiwpg, Mar 11, 2008.

1. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

Sorry for yet another, this or that thread, but I'm getting a new dslr (my first one!, my current camera is a Canon powershot g3)

I'm thinking about the Canon xsi, but I don't want to wait for it to come out as I'll be starting a photography course in late april and I would love to do the whole course with the new camera. (although technically I could do the course with my G3)

I saw the nikon d60 and it looks cute but is it really a competer for the xsi? Looking at the d80 it looks like a full frame dslr, and people seem to think that is important. How does the d80 compare Quality wise to the xsi?

Thanks!

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

NONE of the cameras you mention are full-frame - they're all APS-C (cropped) sensor cameras. For the vast majority of photographers it doesn't really matter. If it ever matters to you, it'll be years down the road.

They're all good cameras that'll give you good results. If you've got friends that shoot dSLRs, and most of them have one brand or the other, then go with that brand. I'm a Nikon fan; others here are Canon fans (or Pentax, or Olympus, or ...). The bottom line is the brand you choose is not likely to affect your photography one whit.