xslimmer 1.2.3 > Safe to use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Halcyon, May 13, 2007.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Anybody out there using this application?
    It "trims" down your applications from x-tra code that is not needed by the particular machine your using. It's main purpouse is to regain disk space (which is not what I'm after) and to make your applications load faster and even run faster (which I'm interested in).

The big question is: How safe is it to strip down code from your applications?

I can see it saving you disk space and probably loading faster if your running an Intel Mac and it strips the PPC code...or something like that. But what about when you upgrade your application (automatic upgrades) or if you install new plug-ins, or...you get the picture.

Any input will be appreciated.

JC

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

In my experience, Xslimmer has always been pretty safe.

Of course stripping code from applications can sometimes have unintended consequences, Xslimmer tends to be pretty safe.

When an app upgrades, you'll likely have to re-slim the app, though.

3. 2Shae macrumors 6502

I've used it on all my apps...got about 1 GB back.
    And all my apps still work fine

4. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.

So now that it's proven sfe and that disk space is saved, the third quetion remains unanswered...Does your apps run faster? How noticeable is it ?

JC

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The apps themselves likely won't RUN any faster because they're still executing the same code as before. What you MIGHT see is quicker loading times because the app no longer has to figure out which binary to use.

6. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I just ran xslimmer a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to work fine. What was not fine was my OS (10.4.8) did not cooperate after that. Things were not opening as quickly. Folders had disappeared so I restored things last night. Be careful.