XSlimmer and MS Office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lugesm, Mar 24, 2009.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Can XSlimmer be used to reduce the size and increase the speed of MS Office . . . or is it just for Apple applications?

Is XSlimmer safe for removing unwanted Apple applications such as Garage Band, etc ?

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Word checks itself when it launches for tampering. I don't think the other MS Office apps do. XSlimmer's developers have a list of software on their site which are damaged when slimmed.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

You should not use XSlimmer (or any other similar application, such as Monolingual) with Office 2008. Those applications take out files that are necessary to running Office 2008.

If you want to reduce the size of your Office installation, you should uninstall it, and reinstall it with a custom installation. During the custom install, you can choose to not install the things you don't use. For example, I never install the various language proofing tools. You can also choose not to install all of the applications that are included with Office 2008.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks for the comments.

Probably saved me a lot of grief. :)

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Also XSlimmer cannot be used to uninstall applications. Use AppCleaner for that.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thanks for the appcleaner link!

7. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Xslimmer is great. It has a built in blacklist of applications, that gets updated all the time. If the application is blacklisted, the application will be totally left alone.

I don't have MS Office, but if you drop it onto Xslimmer, you'll most likely be told it's blacklisted.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

appcleaner ftw