XSlimmer Drops PowerPC Support

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tayloralmond, Jul 13, 2012.

1. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I just received an update notice for XSlimmer on my PowerMac G4 and saw this. It was inevitable that LateNiteSoft would eventually drop PowerPC support, but it's still unfortunate.

Attached Files:

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I have just slimmed my quad two nights ago. Oh well does't really matter.

3. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

The only way powerpc can survive is if even a small group of developers start making apps for powerpc cause otherwise within 5 years we will have completely disappeared due to incompatibility

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Maybe, but then again it is still fun using old softwares. And these old softwares are still relevant to my workflow.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

We should make a repo, like Macintosh Garden, but for up to OS X Leopard. I think that would be really good. As long as people had serials, the commercial stuff could be stored with no issue.

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The user base is so small that there is no point. From a financial/time standpoint anyway. If someone wanted to program for it as a hobby that's another thing.

7. tayloralmond thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd be willing to start hosting programs on MyMacCollection. I've got more than enough computers sitting around to make a file server. All I'd ask is that people help collect and organize final PowerPC versions of programs and I'd take it from there.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I have a vast library of older PPC software and a knack for finding older versions of software on the internet.

9. tayloralmond thread starter macrumors 6502

Well if you can find a way to get it to me (Dropbox, email, etc.) then I'll get a server set up within a few hours.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't that vast. It mostly has hard to find things that I at one point wanted to save for some reason. It's also highly unorganized and spread across many different hard drives.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Sounds good.

12. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

It makes no difference to PowerPC users since the Mac OS stops at 10.5 or lower for all of them. Any version of Xslimmer that works now will always work.

The OS isn't advancing any longer so an OS level utility like this doesn't need to either. The truth is that this has no effect on PowerPC users at all.

13. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

This really sums it up 100%.

14. wobegong Guest

Well there are PPC developers apart from the TenFour team but they are investing their time in Linux - I'm sorely tempted but will wait until OSX really holds me back..
    http://mintppc.org/

15. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

On the subject of XSlimmer.... lol

Purchasing this application would still be a good investment. The older version will still work on PPC for taking Intel code out of UB's, and the newer releases will still strip out PPC code from UB, and 32-bit code from 64-bit capable Intel apps (assuming you have 64-bit capable Intel CPU), etc. Will purchase XSlimmer soon :)

16. tayloralmond thread starter macrumors 6502

I purchased XSlimmer a couple years ago and its been worth every penny. My license is compatible with the latest version of XSlimmer, and I can still use it on all my other PowerPC Macintoshes. It's an A+ program...which is why I was sad to see it move on.

17. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

This app will be extremely useful for me on my 2010 Mac mini, as I only have a 60GB SSD. Can't wait to cut out all of the excess/unused stuff on the drive and get some space back.

18. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Purchased it today.Usefull for powerpc and for upcoming ssd for the macbook =)