Xslimmer Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aznelementmaste, Jul 31, 2008.

1. aznelementmaste macrumors newbie

I'm trying out a demo of Xslimmer, and I'm kind've afraid :S

I've done it on third party apps, but should I do it on Apple Apps (iCal, Safari, Mail, iChat, etc.)???

Does anyone have a suggestion?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Try it on something you can re-install easily like iTunes.

3. aznelementmaste thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that.

However, has anyone used it on an Apple application and experience any problems? I'm just curious.

4. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I've never treied Xslimmer, but I am using Monolingual (free, does also get read off the PowerPC archictecture and deletes the languages you don't want)
    I've ran it through all my applications and no prpblems. Now they show that they are Intel instead of Universal. So that's says it has done the job right.
    Why shoudn't Xslimmer do the job right, too?

But as suggestiod, if you don't trust it, try it with iTunes which you can easily download it again or even better, make a copy of the app (mail.app for example) and then run Xslimmer. If anything goes wrong, just copy the original app back to the Application folder.

5. aznelementmaste thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an external hard drive, so I'm not worrying about applications failing. I just don't want to go through Time Machine and get the application back (it takes a while because i'm using a macbook...so my fan increases and everything.)

So...you ran Monolingual and nothing changed? When you logged in, and you tried to open an application, it didn't lag a bit or anything?

6. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I don't have laggings or not any I would realize. And thinking logical, it only should improve the performance, because the unneeded code it getting deleted, so your Mac does not have to decide which architecture (PowerPC or Intel) it should run.

Less decisions means faster speed.

Are you experiencing any laggings?
    (I am on a MacBook as well)

7. aznelementmaste thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I am.

Whenever I open an application, the application stays dark (like..when you hold the application on the dock to pop up the contextual menu), and then maybe half a second to 1 second later, it starts opening up.

8. dal20402 macrumors 6502

Getting rid of PPC code won't increase performance at all. It will ONLY save you disk space.

Back when I used Xslimmer (before I got enough disk space not to worry about it) the only problems it caused were with Adobe CS3.

If you want to increase performance, look for unnecessary third-party add-ons to your system and get rid of them; make sure you're not using any PPC apps (look in the Activity Monitor with the "Kind" field enabled); make sure you're quitting apps when you don't use them; restart once in a while; and most importantly, buy as much RAM as your Mac can hold.

9. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I didn't say for sure that it's speeds it up, I only said it shoud not break down the performance.
    And just thinking logical, the OS has to determine each start which code it will run. Sure that only takes a nanosecond. Because you don't realize that nanosecond, yeah it's not supposed to be any snappier.

Buying more ram isn't needed. He won't even need the 2 gigs which he already might have. Just look in Activity Monitor how much really is used. I bet he doesn't do any video encoding/converting and stuff.
    Ok, if you want to spend the money on more RAM, go for it (it's pretty cheap), but beside the little improvement in appliqation startup it won't help you in your daily working.

@aznelementmaste: does dis greying-out only happen at the very first oppening of an app (like after restart) or everytime you click on it in the dock?

I have sometimes a little lag with iTunes, but sometimes it just opens stright away. But that's because my iTunes library is huge (I have found out that above 80 gigs or so it gets a few slower starting/quitting), so I won't complain about my little lagging which happens from time to time.
    I am rarely using the other Apple apps, (I use Firefox+Thunderbird mainly. Rarely iPhoto and the Calender.)
    And until everything is still fricking fast I just can't complain about it.

I don't think I can help you any further without knowing more (Do you also have a big iTunes/iPhoto library. Do you regularly restart or shutting down in the evening. Is your HD getting full?) there are just too many factors which could influence the performance.

10. aznelementmaste thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens the first time I open an Application after I restart/shutdown.

11. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I have used Xslimmer on my entire applications folder (i.e. just dragged it into Xslimmer). I have not had any problems.