XSlimmer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by QuarterSwede, Nov 2, 2007.

1. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've been playing around with the XSlimmer trial and was wondering what people think of it.

It basically deletes any Universal Binary junk or Localizations you don't need.

Is it worth $11.95?

So far it seems to kill any plugins you may have in Safari and I would imagine other apps as well (Mail, iTunes, etc). I really don't see how it can bring my Mail app from 287MB down to 24MB without trashing the emails I have in folders as well. Or iPhoto from 285MB to 148MB without trashing all the thumbnails? Or Address book from 47.5MB to 4.04MB without trashing my contacts?

It seems like a good idea in theory but does it work well in practice?

2. pbkiller macrumors regular

Ive been using Xslimmer for a couple of months now and it has worked for me perfectly. i Use it more on my 17 PB because of the HD space issues. It takes out all the code thats not needed in universal applications ( takes out intel code when using a power pc and vice versa ), and also other languages that you dont use besides enlish. It doesnt crash or deletes any plug in or preference. At least for me it works, it keeps my apps "compressed" and lean, without any unused clutter. Never had a single problem with it...

Rob