xSlimmer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by André M, Jul 17, 2009.

1. André M macrumors member

So, I recently found out about this app. It seems great, slimming down apps by removing things that aren't required by the app.

Has anybody got any experience with this app? I've used it a couple of times with apps like Safari (4.0.2) and Itunes (8.2) but after my erase and reinstallation of OSX today (leopard) it seems Safari starts and runs faster without the "xslimming" done (note: I have the same app setup as before the reinstall)

Well, anybody else that can vouch for this app or has anybody had any problems and would advise against using it?

2. SimonJ macrumors regular

I have never had any problems with xSlimmer, although I prefer Monolingual.

I think the faster Safari startup is simply the result of a fresh OS.

3. André M thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I thought so too but seeing as I have exactly the same apps on it as before but well, might aswell be.

But monolingual doesnt slim apps, it just removes selected language files and some other stuff or have I missed a hidden feature?

4. aarcarr macrumors member

I like it, freed up a few gigs on my hdd taking Intel outta my PowerBook and haven't had a problem yet.

5. André M thread starter macrumors member

Are you getting any noticable speed boosts in launching apps? Perhaps thats not what the app is made for but from my understanding is that it strips down and removes architectures from the app so that it will launch the intel architecture(for ex) for "safari" making it launch faster since less to no checking has to be made, or am I totally wrong?

6. SimonJ macrumors regular

As I understand it, the system just picks the right resources depending on your architecture (Intel/PPC) and leaves the rest alone. I wouldn't anticipate a speed increase just from that since the other files aren't used anyway.

On Monolingual - it can remove both languages and non-Intel architectures.

7. André M thread starter macrumors member

Oh, so the app, ill take safari as the example, doesn't perform a check on what architecture the computer is before it launches?

Yeah about monolingual removing architectures, that I knew but doesn't xSlimmer "slim" more than what monolingual does?

8. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Xslimmer deletes either the PowerPC or Intel architecture (depending on what kind of computer you have), thereby making apps launch faster due to the reduced size and the fact that it doesn't need to check before launching every app. Don't use it with any Microsoft programs though because people have had issues with that (ie Office).

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The issue with MS Office is the updates

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I slim my whole apps folder every couple of months. Recently, I gained an extra 2GB of space back. Although I havent checked every app afters slimming for damage, every apps I have tried after slimming has worked fine.
    xSlimmer <3

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What Dawg said. The update installer checks the apps and will fail if they've been altered.

12. André M thread starter macrumors member

Ah great, thanks for all the information people.

xSlimmer = love :)

13. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I have used it the whole system over and it works great!