Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScoutDad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Heads up to all who use this program to clear their ipad/iphone memory - the new update (1.5) has removed this functionality. Don't upgrade or you will lose it too! Sent an email to the developer and waiting to hear back. I can only suspect Apple made him pull it?!?!? :confused:

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Clear memory? There's no way for an app to do that, except by filling all the memory itself, which causes the OS to shut down all your other apps. But that's a pointless thing to do, because when you open another app that needs more memory, exactly the same thing will happen. So I guess this will save you a pointless task? :)

ScoutDad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Clear memory? There's no way for an app to do that, except by filling all the memory itself, which causes the OS to shut down all your other apps. But that's a pointless thing to do, because when you open another app that needs more memory, exactly the same thing will happen. So I guess this will save you a pointless task? :)

Thanks for your explanation, but maybe I did not explain it correctly as I am not a developer. According the developer's website it can "free up memory." Anyway it did seem to work for me (and a host of others if you check out the terrible reviews now being given it since the update).

http://itunes.apple.com/app/xsysinfo/id354129029?mt=8

strangerblue

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
I suffered the update today. I'm annoyed. It used to be a must have App.

Is there any way to selectively decline an App update ?

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Thanks for your explanation, but maybe I did not explain it correctly as I am not a developer. According the developer's website it can "free up memory." Anyway it did seem to work for me (and a host of others if you check out the terrible reviews now being given it since the update).

Hmm.. I guess there's a couple of ways it might help situations like this:

1. You open a big game or something, it starts up, then needs more memory. The system will provide it, but it'll have to shut down other apps while the game is running. That results in the game slowing down + stuttering a bit until the apps have all quit.

2. An app might ask for more memory, not get it straight away, and crash. That shouldn't happen, but I bet it does ;)

No :(

ScoutDad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
And the developer's response:

Hi!

Apple removed app from sale because of this feature. We were asked to
remove memory cleaning from app. That's why app was not sold from 1-st
september till yesterday.
We hope that we will be able restore functionality of our app soon. Stay
tuned!

Please don't upgrade and make a backup copy of version 1.4.4.

Sincerely yours, XZone Software Support Team

Hopefully, they'll be able to get it back!!

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
I suffered the update today. I'm annoyed. It used to be a must have App.

Yes there is - Don't click update All

If u want it back then go into your trash can if u are on a mac or recycle bin if u are on windows and find the ipa file for that app. restore it from trash back to itunes folder and delete newly updated version. Remove the app from your ipad if its installed and then just sync it again

crazycru

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Anyone have the 1.4.4 ipa file?

I suffered the update as well, and while doing other work cleaned out my recycle bin. I have not been able to pull it back. Does anyone have a copy of this file to share?

ScoutDad

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
FYI - supposedly this functionality has been restored in the new version 1.6 just released. Haven't tried it myself yet, but reviews on Apple indicate it's back to clearing memory again. Only now it requires a slightly different way to invoke/activate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.