Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
From what I understand, Xtorrent is based on Transmission's source code. Also, Xtorrent does not keep up with the release cycle of Transmission. So, using Xtorrent is like using an old buggy version of Transmission with a little bit prettier GUI.

Transmission is the way to go.

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Xtorrent is based on Transmission's source code.

Not anymore. Xtorrent 2 uses it's own Bittorrent engine called Xcore.

I think the best feature of Xtorrent is its built-in search engine. It really makes Bittorrent simple.

I bought the basic license for Xtorrent 2. I don't think version 3.0 is coming out anytime soon. And if/when it does, I don't mind donating another $25 to the developer.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Not anymore. Xtorrent 2 uses it's own Bittorrent engine called Xcore.

I think the best feature of Xtorrent is its built-in search engine. It really makes Bittorrent simple.

I bought the basic license for Xtorrent 2. I don't think version 3.0 is coming out anytime soon. And if/when it does, I don't mind donating another $25 to the developer.

Thanks for the info, I was unaware of the new engine. Is it proprietary or open source?

If you want a good torrent search engine that will integrate with transmission and other torrent apps, check out Swarmquery.

http://thesynapseproject.org/apps.php

Swarmquery and Transmission are both free. Donate what you can to support development.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Transmission has some advantages over utorrent.

Transmission has an integrated Bluetack IP blocklist function that blocks known bad peers from connecting with you when turned on.

Transmission includes both outgoing and incoming forced encryption while utorrent only supports outgoing. This makes you less likely to get your bandwidth throttled by your ISP.

Transmission also has built in proxy support.

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Thanks for the info, I was unaware of the new engine. Is it proprietary or open source?

I assume it's proprietary.

Quote from Xtorrent.com:
Xtorrent 2 introduces Xcore, a new torrent engine written from the ground up exclusively for Mac OS X. It's 100% Cocoa and uses the latest technologies in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The result is a lightweight, stable experience that's optimized for the Mac.

Xcore implements a fully modern torrent engine featuring support for all relevant torrent protocols (such as peer exchange and message stream encryption). In plain English, Xcore is lean, mean, and ready for the future.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Transmission is awesome but when working with large torrent files on external hard drives and sometimes even on the internal the app appears to lock up for long periods at a time.

The support for remote monitoring is nice with Tranmission. I tried xTorrent and did not like it.

Anymore I use a Seedbox on a 1Gbit line and don't have to worry about lagging my home connection out all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.