xtorrent lost my download !! It's there, but it is'nt

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jezabit, Apr 15, 2008.

1. jezabit macrumors newbie

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to read/respond.
    I quit xtorrent 1.1 before it finished checking.
    Then when I resumed downloading, 5GB of data seemingly went missing. [It started downloading from about 2MB]. I know the data is there because I've been monitoring free space. One file is in Quicktime and I can open it, although not complete. As for the .dmg file.. well I daren't try to open that.
    How can I get xtorrent to find that data, start checking it again, and pick up where it left off ???
    I'm using an iMac G4.
    I've searched and searched for the solution even tried to email Dave Watanabe, the creator of the program. It's open source, so maybe that will help.
    Is it a matter of creating a new thread or something. I'm a novice at all this so I'd appreciate if you could dumb it down a bit for the 'layperson'.
    I don't want to get a professional in, or have to wipe it and start again. I enjoy the DIY version, and with such slow download I'll probably be a fossil before it gets here.
    Any help or tips will be much appreciated.
    Thanks again in advance.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Take it to an Apple Store, they will recover the file for you

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

4. jezabit thread starter macrumors newbie

What a spectacular induction to macrumours.. my very first entry, and I answer my own question. HA HA!

I opened xtorrent, resumed downloading, waited for it to find a host, then 'forced quit'. And voila! upon re-opening the app. it started checking for the previously downloaded data, found it, and started exactly where it left off.

BRILLIANT!! Why didn't I think of that ..Oh, I did... BRILLIANT!!!!
    I'm sure many people will benefit from that, I saw alot of complaints about xtorrent losing data. And how crap it was, and how impossible it is to get in touch with 'Watanabe' [program creator]...Thanks all.

5. BoogieStik macrumors newbie

reaching Watanabe

I got ahold of Dave Watanabe last night. He replied to my e-mail promptly--I mean within minutes--at 2:30 am central time.

Xtorrent seems to have a serious problem with file associations. The bug I keep running into is that when downloading individual files within torrents, it also downloads other files as well. One time it actually downloaded a different file than the one I specified, and not the one I selected.

Also, since Xtorrent doesn't segregate partial downloads, the extra files it downloads are treated like (and take up the storage space of) complete files. Other clients accomplish this, for example, by changing the file's extension temporarily until the download is complete. That way any partial downloads are easily identified and discarded, or otherwise dealt with.

Dave's response to my query about Xtorrent's file association problem was that it's a "low-level protocol issue...it's not a bug". When I replied that none of the other bittorrent clients I'd used (and named) suffered from it, he didn't respond.