Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
So I have your typical 700MB XViD .avi and I want to burn it to a single layer DVD.

I tried using Toast 7, but the conversion quality was terrible! How can I get the best possible quality on to a DVD after conversion so it at least looks somewhat like the original video?

Thanks

dav

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
See if your setting on quality is at Best, or u can try iDVD, works for me (takes me 12 hours to make a DVD tho). In iDVD make sure to select "best quality" in the preferences as well.

I don't know how u do it tho. I tried making a Video-DVD with Toast using an avi file and it wont play on my DVD player. What did you do in Toast to make the DVD?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
If you use QT pro to export the file to a QT movie, then you can throw it at iDVD and that will take care of the MPEG2 conversion for you, any kind of transcoding will add some noise (unless you go to DV stream et al) you should experiment with the different QT codecs, but Sorenson 3 and MPEG4 are good, and if you have a quick computer then H264 is excellent.

These "one-shot solutions" are often problematic.

You could buy the QT MPEG2 export component and DVD Studio Pro, but I'd imagine that's probably a bit too expensive...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.