XviD on iPod Touch!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by darkmeton, Jun 9, 2008.

1. darkmeton macrumors member

Just found out that Zodtt has been working on an app. called vlc4iphone , now renamed as Zodplay. Here are some specs from the official site. [http://zodttd.com/]

- File browsing. No longer be restricted to any one directory. Browse any location you choose.
    - EVEN MORE media formats supported (performance depends on resolution) such as FLV, XviD, H264, MPEG4. AAC, FLAC. Though untested, subtitles should also work.
    - Audio visualizer plays during audio. No more blank screen!
    - More stable.

Though you must be a beta tester to download the app. Anyone tried it??

OMG if I can play .avi without converting them to .mp4 I would be the happiest gadget owner!!

2. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

i just installed it at work. won't be able to actually use it until i get home. some people report problem with video slow down.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you downloaded it from where? as far as I know its just on a beta repo unless you are a zodttd beta tester?

4. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

Yes I am a beta tester. You can be too for a $1 donation

5. droalex macrumors member

Does this work? I might buy a touch again if it does.

6. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

for beta, it works and has great potential but its no where near the stock video player. i tried avi files and they play at about 1/2 the speed but audio at full so they don't sync. however, as with all zodttd apps there should be great improvement shortly.

7. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Unfortunately the program will ultimately be limited by the hardware. Playback of Xvids, etc. won't be nearly as good as he standard iPod videos which benefit from hardware playback.

But I guess we'll see how good they get- hopefully they will surprise us-

8. Xenn0X macrumors regular

CorePlayer Mobile for the iPhone will be available on the AppStore soon after its launched. See the video demo from back in Feb. here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-Vp3IVjbg

It will support:

Audio: MP3, MP2, WMA, AAC, MKA, Midi, WAV, APE, OGG, Speex, WAVPACK, TTA, FLAC, MPC, AMR, ADPCM, ALaw, MuLaw, G.729, GSM

Video: H.264 (AVC), AVCHD, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-4 part 2 (ASP), DivX, XviD, WMV, MJPEG, MSVIDEO1

Containers: Flash/FLV, Matroska, ASF, ASX, AVI, PS, M2TS, TS, 3GPP, MOV, MPEG-4, OGM, NSV

Streaming: HTTP, UDP, UDP Unicast, RDP, RTP. RTSP, RTCP (keep alive), ASX, ASF, Multicast, HTTP Tunneling

9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Wow, now that is some great format support!

I remember using the app on my old Palm, it was great. Hopefully they will be able to get good performance with the iPod Touch...the holy grail of course would be able to handle around 640x480 so you wouldn't have to downconvert video files...

10. godkorg macrumors member

godkorg

Dont they have a blazingly fast Palm emulator for the touch? hmmmmmm.... :)

11. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Will that be usable on the touch as well...

12. Xenn0X macrumors regular

if app store is on ipod touch as well it will work.

13. Protosome macrumors newbie

Now this is something I can get behind. I do not enjoy re-encoding videos to play on the Touch. Bring it on!

14. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

15. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I still use it on my Treo.