Y don't the JB make their apps avail

Discussion in 'iPad' started by leftPCbehind209, Jan 24, 2012.

1. leftPCbehind209 macrumors member

To those that don't JB?

I'd love to have the 'home' button lock and the 5 row keyboard along with the 'sbsettings'.

Why don't they do it? What am I missing?

After all, there are apps that allow me to password protect my photos but nothing to password protect apps? Doesn't make sense.

2. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Because they can't. Without jailbreaking, there is exactly one way to get an app onto your iPad: the App store. Apple has total 100% control over what gets approved for sale in the App store, and they do not allow certain types of apps, like most that make system-wide or OS-level changes. There are various other reasons apps don't get approved as well - for example, VLC is written using some gpl code and putting it in the app store would violate the gpl due to the app store's policies.

Jailbreaking does exactly one thing: It tweaks your iPad so that it can download apps from somewhere other than the App store; in this case, the Cydia store.

Trust me, if the authors of JB packages could put their apps in the app store, where they would be available to several times more customers, they would.

If you want those apps, go ahead and jailbreak. It's not difficult and you can easily restore if you decide you don't want to be jailbroken anymore.

3. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Home-button lock and 5-row keyboard require OS level access and changes, and Apple does not allow this!

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Password protection of photos is completely irrelevant. Not sure why you think you can make statements regarding what does or doesn't make sense if you don't understand the why behind it all. I mean, by the same reasoning, it makes no sense that I can't fly...

5. leftPCbehind209 thread starter macrumors member

Who pooped in your Cheerios?

My question was very relevant. Actually, it was addressed in the first reply in this thread. The poster said that the JB app writers would love to be able to make their apps available to the masses (non JBers).

Second, the whole reason I created this thread was that I admitted to not understanding the "why behind it all". I was asking for answers.

Finally, it is not using reasoning to say that "it makes no sense that I can't fly". Are you just an imbecile or high on drugs? The apps I mentioned provided password protection. I simply would like password protection for some apps - the difference I realize now is password protecting pictures and apps requires altogether different permissions as they relate to the iOS operating system. Yet, they are both password protecting in a users mind.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The OS is protected, and there are no allowed API calls that can modify the core OS in the way you desire. Apple does this to protect the user experience.

Ever used a Windows computer where the system tray is clogged up with 20 apps, startup is clobbered with 20 apps, IE has 30 toolbars, and an AV scan turns up 50 threats? Yea... Apple is trying and succeeding at protecting users from this.

Yes, there are downsides. I consider these downsides minor and acceptable in the long run. I have yet to have to go 'fix' clobbered family member's iPhone or iPad. It's liberating for the 'family IT dude'.

The passworded 'photos' are data that is contained within an app, rather than an app itself.