Y splitter for charging port?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dpapag, Feb 16, 2016.

1. dpapag macrumors newbie

I have the San Disk Ixpand device which plugs into the lighting port on apple devices like my ipad air 2.
    It allows you to have more file storage. I want to be able to charge the ipad while using this device.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Light...ie=UTF8&qid=1455642292&sr=8-3&keywords=ixpand

Is there a device that will split the charging port on the ipad from one female input to two? If not, how do I charge the ipad while using this device?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You can't. Unless the USB drive was designed with a Lightning pass through (and it wasn't), you can't charge the device at the same time.

3. sparksd macrumors 6502a

This is one of the reasons I went with a RAVPower FileHub for storage extension - I can charge my Air 2 while accessing the extra storage (great for video streaming).

4. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I'm not aware of one, but here's an alternative device for $33 to accomplish what you want.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INMB23Q

Basically it's the same thing except you provide your own SD card or USB drive, meaning you could upgrade to larger SD cards or even access terabytes of storage from a USB hard drive.

It's wireless so you can keep the iPad plugged in, walk around with the iPad without having the device dangling from it, and access the storage from other devices too.

The battery it uses can also be used to charge USB devices, like your iPad itself (although it's pretty small, so don't expect a full charge).

And it has a higher customer rating than the device you linked to, for an average of 4.2/5 from 1800 reviewers.

I'd say if it meets or exceeds your requirements, consider picking one of these up and combine it with an SD card, USB thumbstick, or even a USB hard drive.

7. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I have that one and the later version - the WD03 - and they work great. Absolutely zero problems with them. I primarily use a 3TB HDD with it and it plays well with my Air 2 and my Android and Windows devices.

8. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

If he's looking to buy an adapter, why not just use the USB 3 Adatper with Lightning passthrough from Apple?

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91

I've used wireless media interfaces like you've linked to, and while I think they are great, they have to be charged, and setup to use on every new network you want to access at the same time. No where near as simple as plugging the storage into the iDevice.