Ya, Kind of Gross

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by haxderek, Sep 29, 2008.

1. haxderek macrumors newbie

So early sunday morning i stroll in, sit at my kitchen counter and get on my macbook. During some point and time I lay my head down and doze off. I wake up to find it covered in puke. I would like to say that my cat did it but I don't have a cat. The power was plugged in so I'm thinking it is officially done. I heard a sizzling and smelt burning plastic. I then think to take the battery out.

I cleaned it up as best as I could but I couldn't get it to turn on.
    I popped the RAM out and it seemed to be fine besides some white looking corrosion, but upon search that seems to be normal. The hard drive however was a completely different story. It was all corroded up and look like it had been lit on fire.

I tried to get inside the computer to see if I could clean anything up but I guess I stripped one of the tiny screws so that is a no go.

The battery doesn't work as I tried it in my roommates new macbook.

So the question now is what to do? I have no warranty and I'm renting the house I'm in now so I don't know if the insurance would work. With the supposed new macbooks coming out, should I just try to part it out on ebay and buy one of the new ones? How much do you think I could get out of it?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Wow, what did you eat that is so violently reactive to electronics? I'd part it out and buy a new one. I'm sure you could get a few hundred for the screen, assuming it is in working order.

4. haxderek thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess you could say that. I think I was being punished for driving home after drinking.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Good thing you live in FL.

6. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

You should have been punished in more ways then just having a damaged macbook:mad:

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. haxderek thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, but I honestly thought I was good. I stopped a couple of hours before driving home. Does anyone else have any suggestions regarding what is left of my pukebook

9. KompleX macrumors regular

it's amazing how many these "i threw up on my macbook" posts are showing up. i would have assumed that such an event would be the rarest to come by.

10. mpshay macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing. This is the 2nd one of these posts I seen in the last few days. If I was in that shape the last thing I would want to do is screw around with a laptop.

11. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Liquid and electricity typically does that. Liquid alone doesn't do that, unless it is some hardcore acid.

To the OP, that's not "kind of" gross, it is definitely gross.

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

#1 noob mistake! Trying to turn it on afterwards to see if it still works. Sorry about your loss but I'm sure it's a nasty paperweight now. Your stomach acids sure did eat the hell out of it. take it apart and clean it up the best you can and throw all the parts up on ebay to get some money back and go buy yourself a new one or a cheaper used one.

If you do that again, make sure your mouth is pointed in the other direction or at least asleep next to the toilet next time ;)

13. haxderek thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Who knows. Depends on if the puke hit some components responsible for the display.
    Well, if for some reason you decide to try and sell it, you might not want to mention that puke thing. =D

15. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Is it just me? I've never been that drunk/toasted to not know I was going to be sick with some small time frame in there. Now I've not made it to the bathroom in time but sure as hell knew before throwing up.

I guess I just wasn't that big of a party animal. ;)

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think the screen itself should be fine, but the parts its connected to on the logic board - probably not.

17. Zadiek macrumors member

Wow, you must of drank a ton to throw up in your sleep and not wake up from it. You know you are lucky you didn't choke on it!

18. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

he's lucky he didn't get in a car wreck...

19. Zadiek macrumors member

yup, that too.

20. mladenz macrumors regular

im sorry for your loss but i cant stop laughing, ahaha. You do realised your macbook is broken because someone puked on it:p

nvm. im sorry for being this evil but i cant stop laughing:D

21. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Here is a neat fact for you, "pure" water does not conduct electricity.

What?!?! :eek:

Yes you heard err read right.:cool:

But when I say pure, I really mean pure meaning nothing but "H2O". The only way to do this is to use a purifying water system that removes all ions, in chemistry lab we call it "deionized water".

Don't go and do any crazy tests though, because the container you use to the store the water can probably release some ions that will conduct electricity.

22. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Seriously, where are the people who always look at me like I have 6 heads when I don some nitrile gloves before working on their laptop/cell phone/ipod.

I need to cut and paste this post.

Hook me up with some pictures, too, (before you cleaned it) I want people to SEE why I wear gloves when fixing CE, and stop treating me like I'm OCD.

As for your laptop - wire corrosion is usually a sign that it's too late. It's from electrolysis - the "liquids" scrap up even more ions, and the water turns into an acid - effectively etching any energized trace/component/surface. Add to the fact, your Margarita Mix already conducts and etches pretty well on its on with a little of your fresh-squeezed juices.

You COULD keep power removed, remove any moving parts (fan, HDD, optical drive) and rinse your PCB under DI water, and allow it to dry for SEVERAL DAYS.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't bother, as it sounds like you're far beyond that point.

Consider it a lesson learned.

23. unixfool macrumors 6502a

What I was saying was that liquified puke and electricity don't mix...AT ALL. The scoring on the drive most likely isn't from his stomach acid, as someone initially suspected, its more than likely from the mixture of liquid and electricity that probably caused sparking and burning/smoking.

Please learn to read. And who said anything about "pure"?

24. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

While I'm not addressing drinking and driving is okay, I've done it many times already.

The hard drive, you might be able to wash the pins (carefully) and see if it'll run there. It looks like the pins aren't connecting properly.

25. California macrumors 68040

California

I'd rinse it all with distilled or DI water anyway and see what can be brought back to life. But that's me.

And OP you ARE lucky you didn't choke on it. Glad you made it.