Ya this geo locations reminders sucks!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icrude, Oct 14, 2011.

1. icrude macrumors regular

So I'm at work. I set up reminders to tell me something when I leave. This thing has gone off like 4 times already this morning reminding me. So I opened up google maps and it is saying that I am on the freeway right now, but then it refreshed and now I am back at work.... I live in Orange County California, no place with better reception. No hills...full service...WTF!?

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Most likely, your phone is flipping between cell towers as you move around the office.

3. icrude thread starter macrumors regular

Did they not think about issues like that? That is flipping...annoying...

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I set one up to let me know when I left my apt. I was a good 6 miles away and it was about 20 minutes later when it let me know I left.

5. icrude thread starter macrumors regular

ya there is no way this feature really works....

6. Jonk1183 macrumors regular

it works great for me, soon as i pulled in my driveway it went off, and soon as i left work it went off, its ur gps not the reminders app.

7. vanfanel1 macrumors member

I think the only for this to work foolproof all the time is to rig an external gps antenna to it. I wonder if the tomtom gps kit would improve this feature.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Seeing as I had my maps app open to see my projectory - I would say that isn't always the case. The maps app indicated exactly where I was (correctly) at all times.

I'm wondering (to save on some battery) if the reminders app "pings" the gps on a certain interval. It's possible that you got luck - where others haven't.

9. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I'm confused.. How do I select a location to remind me at? It sends me to contacts. Do I have to make a contact for the location I want to be reminded at?

10. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

yes, which is possibly the worst way I can think of to have this feature work. Why not link to maps and allow for pin dropping?

11. Centient macrumors 6502

Can you request Siri set up a geo reminder without accessing your contacts?

Cause yeah, it sucks and makes no sense having to use your contacts exclusively (unless you're setting a reminder for your current location) to set up reminders.

12. elistan macrumors 6502a

You HAVE to use a Contacts entry for geofencing.

From Apple's official iOS 5 guide:

About location reminders
    Location reminders are available only on iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, and may not be available in all areas. Also, you cannot set locations for reminders in Microsoft Exchange accounts.

You can set a location reminder to have Reminders alert you when you approach the location, and again when you’re no longer near the area. For best results, specify a location that’s well defined—such as an address instead of city—and remember that the accuracy can vary. iPhone checks its location less frequently depending on your model of iPhone and whether it’s locked, so there may be a delay before the reminder is triggered.

When you create a reminder, you can use your current location or a location from your contacts list. Add locations that you’ll use with Reminders, such as the grocery store or school, to Contacts. You should also add personal locations, such as your home and work addresses, to your contact card in Contacts. Reminders shows the locations from your contact card. For information about setting your contact card in Contacts, see “Contacts accounts and settings” on page 109.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, this was a huge disappointment to me about location based reminders.

I mean sure you can add the address into your contacts, but that is a lot of hassle for a reminder you may only want once at that location. Plus then your contacts start getting really big (I suppose you could create a group for random reminder locations that you could only use for that purpose).

14. protobiont macrumors 6502a

That's stupid.

Why the heck would I want to clutter my contacts with a grocery store? What if I'm going somewhere one time only. I have to create a contact before I can set a reminder? Stupid, stupid, stupid..

15. Codepiink macrumors regular

Think it has to do with your data. Sometimes when i used to use the Maps it would put me feet or miles away from where I actually was. I don't think it's the reminders app that is faulty.

16. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

[​IMG]

17. yAak macrumors newbie

yAak

I'm trying to imagine a common scenario that involves preferring geofencing over time/calendar-based alerts for leaving or arriving at different one-time-visit locations on a regular basis. Help me out here?

18. vanfanel1 macrumors member

How would siri know which grocery store you're referring to? If you're at the grocery store you can use your current location. But if you want it to set a reminder when you get to the grocery store it has no idea what you're talking about...hence the necessity for contact info.

19. tigress666 macrumors 68040

No, it could be so that you could just enter the address you want it to make a geofence without having to create a permenant contact around that address.

If I'm at the grocery store, chances are I want that geo fence to remind me when I get there that I also need eggs (or that I should check out the price of something) so it's useless to have it make me a reminder while I'm there... if I remember to make that reminder, well I don't need it, do I?

20. sparkstsa macrumors regular

I tried this last night. I set it to remind me once I left work. I left work and drove 10 miles to my house. It never reminded me.