Yahoo! Changed their look

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IBradMac, Aug 26, 2009.

1. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

And I am not the least bit impressed. Can you say bloated? I can hardly stand even going there anymore, for anything!

What do you folks think?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Did we seriously not have a thread on this? Then again, I do not remember.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Doesn't look any different to me. They've had that look for a few months now, and I kind of like it.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I only really use the My Yahoo! page. I don't notice the front page.

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I don't think it is bloated at all. Ad placement/design sucks a bit thought (ie, its hard to tell what is and ad and what is yahoo content).

7. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I'm not too fond of it. They change it to that several times a month if you haven't noticed. I hope there will be an option for the classic page when the new one becomes permanent.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't care either way. It may look bloated to some, but it was always that way. They always presented a lot of information.

I guess my iGoogle page does that as well, although it's news that I deliberately chose to receive. That's the major difference. Yahoo!'s site should automatically load like an iGoogle homepage, except the first time you visit Yahoo should require an initiation/setup where the user must tick checkboxes for the type of news you want to view. Otherwise, Yahoo! always presents news and information I'm not interested in, and it's hard to compete with a personalised, "bespoke" homepage like iGoogle.

My mum didn't know how to set up iGoogle, but I'm sure if there was an initial walkthrough on Yahoo!, she'd be able to do it.

9. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I'm sorry.:( I usually do search...

if its already here please feel free to merge moderators! :eek:

I guess I just got so flustered a couple of days ago when I had to navigate to my email account. It made me glad I forwarded my mail to Google. ;)

10. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

It looks absolutely terrible and is laggy and annoying, but that seems to be the current "professional" bandwagon. It's trendy, and that's all that matters. I just wish they'd quit screwing with Classic Yahoo! Mail. They keep throwing in useless Ajax everywhere, which means 90% of the links now can't be opened in a new tab, so I have to open a new tab, go to Yahoo! Mail, then click the link I want to go to.

Also, that damn exclamation mark in "Yahoo!" is annoying as hell. Does anybody else hate random useless punctuation in company/product names? There's a restaurant called "Souper! Salad!" here. When I read that, I read it as two separate sentences, and it sounds painfully retarded. Same with "Godspeed You! Black Emperor," whose name I only know because I read it one time and thought, "that sounds stupid as hell and makes no sense." And then Yahoo! goes and makes me end my sentences before they're supposed to end :mad:

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I never use Yahoo, mainly because they always look bloated and I can't tell ads from stupid content hooks without having to think about it. I want news, I go to CNN, I want search I use Bing or Google, and any group or interest has a better dedicated site/forum of their own.

I like the new look better - at least they resolved some of the small-print-all-looks-the-same issues, but it's still overcrowded.

Props for making it look more organized, tho'...

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I feel the same way as Melrose. I think the key to presenting information on the web is making it simple and uncluttered. 'Busy' is not good, ergo Yahoo's homepage is not good. The new one is an improvement, slightly.

13. Catch-22 macrumors newbie

The new main page has gone from heavily bloated to just bloated. The only time I use Yahoo is to clear out spam mail when Yahoo Messenger notifies me I have some. Other than that, the search engine is pretty much useless. Even in the old days of the internet I used everything else (Hotbot, Altavista, etc) rather than Yahoo.

14. JTTech macrumors member

JTTech

I feel like Yahoo is aimed at General American Joes (and Janes) who are 35-65 y.o. and surf the web but aren't that tech-savvy...they want a comfortable place to start their web surfin' every day (flashback to the days of AOL Today window popping up).

And there's nothing wrong with that -- but I feel like now that all (well, many) of the moms are discovering Facebook, Yahoo could loose a lot of their attention.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I used Yahoo for years, and quit with this new iteration. It seems like everywhere I put the mouse pointer, something opens up without my clicking it. I hate it.

iGoogle from now on. :)

16. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Yahoo? What's that? Is it some sort of Google add-on? :D

Seriously though, I checked it out just now and it don't look too bad.

17. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

The new Yahoo page isn't the best redesign ever. Wish I could disable the mouse over popup and have them be click to popup.

The Comcast.net redesign a couple months ago was far worse. I used to check the page a couple times a week, but now I only go to it a couple times a week at most.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It looks fine. The mousovers and popups are annoying as f**k.