Yahoo! CTO admits the Search game is lost, looks to Social Networking

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, May 21, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Register.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

At least they can be the bigger man about it. I can honestly say I havent visited Yahoo, even once, for about 3 years. I use google and gmail all the time. And AskJeeves its been like 6 years.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I use Yahoo for groups, mail, and occasional searches, messenger, and definitely for finance info.

Search I google mostly, but that is not the only area where google won. Maps is a big thing too.

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Indeed. It seems the first step to recovering the business is to admit that their efforts in Search are largely pointless. Time to refocus else where and see what they can do.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Think about all the money Yahoo has in fact made being relocated towards other resources. I wonder what they could accomplish. I'm certainly interested.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I can't remember the last time I went to Yahoo's site. It was probably the late 90s!

7. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Interesting. The end of an era? Maybe.

Seeing Yahoo focus on social networking might be interesting. Yahoo Groups is a useful system that could use some fine tuning and Yahoo Answers seems to be overrun by junior high kids trying to get someone else to do their homework.

They already have networks in place, it just hasn't been tied into a single product yet.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't know if Yahoo has anything left. It should go the way of the other late great 90's internet companies.