Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattocs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
When I send email on my iPhone 3G 8GB, sometimes it sends twice. Sometimes it sends it when I push send, and then keep it in the Outbox saying it wasn't sent, and then sends it again. Other times it just seems to send normal, but then whoever I sent it to tells me they recieved it twice.

Anyone ever have this issue before? Is it an iPhone problem or a problem with Yahoo and its mail?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Never happened to my iPhone 3G nor my Yahoo email account ever.
And at the moment I'm using Y!mail - send and push works fine.

Have you tried the 3 Rs, it might fix your issue?

mattocs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Never happened to my iPhone 3G nor my Yahoo email account ever.
And at the moment I'm using Y!mail - send and push works fine.

Have you tried the 3 Rs, it might fix your issue?

3 Rs? I assume one is restart the phone. This has been done several times.

I think the phone thinks it did not send the message when it already did. And it sits in the Outbox and sends it again. Yesterday my wife said she got the same email three times. Twice shortly after I sent it, and once again a few hours later.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
3 Rs? I assume one is restart the phone. This has been done several times.

I think the phone thinks it did not send the message when it already did. And it sits in the Outbox and sends it again. Yesterday my wife said she got the same email three times. Twice shortly after I sent it, and once again a few hours later.

Yup that's one, but let's not go to the other Rs first.

Could you try re-adding your Y! email account? I mean remove it and re-add it again.

I just used my co-workers iPhone 3g and his Y!email also works fine.

mattocs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Yup that's one, but let's not go to the other Rs first.

Could you try re-adding your Y! email account? I mean remove it and re-add it again.

I just used my co-workers iPhone 3g and his Y!email also works fine.

I am going to try that now. It does not always do it. I'll report back later if it keeps doing it.

mattocs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I did a complete resotre of my iPhone to new and set up the email again. It is still sending duplicate emails.

I have had it for less than 14 days...should I just go exchange it?

mattocs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Still having this problem. Anyone else experience this yet, and have a solution?

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
MIne does the same thing, If i am at home on wifi it does not do it so i have to think it has something to do with At&t or the iphone 2.x

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Now that you mention it her's has never done it while she was at home on wifi either. Only when she is at work on 3G.

I just tried it with a Gmail account and it works just fine so far. I think the issue might be with yahoo and how their servers act. If anyone has any other ideas let me know.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
it hasnt happened for me.

well, thats cool then but some of us are. I wonder if Ymail vs. yahoo makes any difference? The people i send pics to mostly is verizon users. Could it be server settings for yahoo?

I just tried it now with both accounts setup, gmail was perfect and ymail gave me the failed error BUT still shows in the outbox. It has to be a configuration. This example was both on EDGE.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Did it a day or two ago, was in the outbox, saying it couldn't send, but sent multiple times, though to be honest, Yahoo was up the creek that day anyhow, and the info was on the Yahoo blog. quick on and off of the Phone, and getting into a decent wifi or 3g or edge reception might help.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I tried yahoo email with push ON and it seemed to work better since i didnt get the usual "fail" error but i didnt receieve dups of the same emails to my gmail account.

I think my conclusion is Yahoo's server sucks when your sending on a weaker signal. For my testing i am inside a building with minimal 2-3 bars 3g and it switches off & on to a full 5 bars for EGDE. Gmail does not support "push" but that uses more battery life when most iphoners try to extend the battery as much as possible. I will keep the yahoo account on the phone but will switch to gmail for the primary account which is flawless when sending pics under my same signal conditions.

mattocs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I use Ymail not Yahoo for my Yahoo mail. I gave up today and just used an email I made on a domain I own. Its faster, too. I'd use Yahoo instead, but there are no good user names left.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I use Ymail not Yahoo for my Yahoo mail. I gave up today and just used an email I made on a domain I own. Its faster, too. I'd use Yahoo instead, but there are no good user names left.

Ymail to my knowledge is the same as yahoo email.

I think the issue is still the Y! servers.

mattocs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Yeah, I am sure its a Yahoo problem, not an iPhone problem. I will give it another try later.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
2nd day using gmail and everything is perfect.

I'm going to see if i can find who/how to contact at yahoo if they can resolve this issue.

Klaymor

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
I have been having this problem myself when connected to a work exchange server. I have had 2 occasions where the same email has been sent over 8 times. Both times I had to remove all my email settings and add them again to get it to stop. I have the 8G 3G iPhone.
I also support about 40 iPhone users in a law firm and 4 or 5 of them are having the same issue. They are connecting to a different exchange server.
My theory is that it happens when there is poor 3G or 2G coverage or the phone is switching between towers and gets "stuck". The problem is worse for these people because there is a dead spot in the building that they are based where the "sphere" of coverage between two 3G towers are intersecting. This problem has been proven by Vodafone NZ but they won't fix it.

Has anyone had any luck resolving this yet?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I have been having this problem myself when connected to a work exchange server. I have had 2 occasions where the same email has been sent over 8 times. Both times I had to remove all my email settings and add them again to get it to stop. I have the 8G 3G iPhone.
I also support about 40 iPhone users in a law firm and 4 or 5 of them are having the same issue. They are connecting to a different exchange server.
My theory is that it happens when there is poor 3G or 2G coverage or the phone is switching between towers and gets "stuck". The problem is worse for these people because there is a dead spot in the building that they are based where the "sphere" of coverage between two 3G towers are intersecting. This problem has been proven by Vodafone NZ but they won't fix it.

Has anyone had any luck resolving this yet?

Are you running 2.2 firmware?

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I gave up on the yahoo mail issue, sometimes it sends doubles, sometimes it fails sending altogether.

I changed to a gmail account and it works flawless, I mainly just use it for sending pics. My main email is hotmail which does nothing on the iphone.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
mattocs,

What SMTP server are you using? Yahoo's? Does your ISP allow you to use their SMTP server from off network connections? If it does, try using that SMTP server instead?

Scott

omatzyo

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
i have the same problem, but i am using exchange 2007. it only happens on 3g/edge (at&t). the recipient sees most of the picture, but it will not fully load. i'm attempting to attach an example.

it seems that the initial transmission fails, the server proceeds to send the information it has received anyway while the phone continues to retransmit until the entire attachment has transferred.

so, technically, it is a server issue. i would assume this is the same issue that yahoo servers are having. i wonder what could be changed, server side, that would stop this from happening?

Attachments

• example.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 325
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.