Yahoo email works on iPhone but not iPad, why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 3587, Oct 18, 2010.

1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

I am using the Apple Mail program on the iPhone and have setup Yahoo Mail and it works just fine... Now that I've purchased an iPad, I'm trying to setup the same Yahoo Mail account on the iPad, but it keeps getting rejected. All the information being entered is 100% correct. Why is this?

2. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

If I'm not mistaken, Yahoo Mail has a problem adjusting to the iPad's resolution so it simply doesn't work. However, if you revert to the older Yahoo Mail, (again, if I'm not mistaken) then the problem is gone and you should be able to use Yahoo Mail as you normally would albeit with the older interface.

3. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I want use use Apple's built in mail app, wouldn't your suggestion only work via Safari?

4. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I use yahoo on mine without problems.
    With mail.

5. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Free or purchased Yahoo?

How did you set it up?

I hit the Yahoo Mail button, enter my full email address and password, hit save, and it rejects it every time.

6. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

7. pm41m macrumors newbie

Another data point...Yahoo email works on my iPad.

I don't have my iPad with me in order to share how I set this up. I remember it being easy once I told Mail on the iPad that I was adding a Yahoo email account. It has been working fine for months and is not affected by whether I use Yahoo Mail Classic or New on my desktop. If it matters, I use the free Yahoo mail "basic", no POP3, etc.

8. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I have BT Yahoo mail (three accounts) which works fine on both my iPhone and iPad.

9. minimo3 macrumors regular

Its probably because you have a non-alphanumeric character in your yahoo password. I'm guessing your iPhone has iOS 4.x which does support it, but your iPad is still stuck with iOS 3.x which only takes letters and numbers. I'm afraid your only choice is to change your Yahoo password. Its a pity cos this weakens the strength of the password, but hopefully it will be fixed in 4.2.

10. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My password consists of four letters and three numbers... Now what?

11. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Yahoo mail works fine on both my iPhone 4 and my 3G iPad.

My Yahoo e-mail address has no numbers or characters other than the @ symbol, and the period for the dot com.

12. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same here. Just have wifi only model.

13. minimo3 macrumors regular

Did you try opening Safari on the iPad and going to mail.yahoo.com? Try that and see if you can log in.

14. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, no problems logging in via Safari.

15. erconway1943 macrumors newbie

Yahoo Mail on iPad

I used Yahoo mail prior to receiving my iPad. My password is 6 characters and 4 numbers.

Yahoo works like a charm all the time, and I use either the mail button or go through Yahoo.

While I understand your displeasure at it not working, as you see here, all but you seem to have perfect functionality. Suggest you take it to the Apple store and have them look into it. Wishing you success.

16. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, for whatever reason... I gave it one more try today and it accepted it... Very strange, but it's working now.