Yahoo IM and Amsn

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by T.Verhoeven, Nov 20, 2009.

1. T.Verhoeven macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm deciding between those two IM clients, but i can't find a list of differences... can you?

2. Middling macrumors regular

One uses the Yahoo messenger network, the other uses WLM/MSN.

3. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Where are your friends?

Which network do your contacts use? If yahoo, then use Yahoo IM or adium; if MSN then use aMSN or Adium; if gTalk, then use iChat or adium; if any other jabber, use Psi, iChat or Adium; if AOL, then use iChat or Adium.

Oh wait, why don't you use Adium?

Just my 2 cents.

4. T.Verhoeven thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't use adium because i use my webcam a lot :cool:

I have a @live account, and you guys/girls say that Yahoo messenger doesn't support those? When i checked the website of Yahoo i think that it supports the Msn network...

http://messenger.yahoo.com/mac/

5. Middling macrumors regular

It supports sending (text) I.M.s to people who are using the WLM/MSN network, but to use Yahoo Messenger you need to use a Yahoo account (and all your contacts will need to re-add you using that account). It doesn't support webcam between Yahoo and WLM contacts.

6. T.Verhoeven thread starter macrumors newbie

So i can't login with my @live account, but when i make a @yahoo account i can still chat with my friends who have an @live account?

(sorry but English isn't my native language)

7. windels macrumors regular

windels

I saw your name so I assume you're dutch, so :

je redenering is correct. maar aangezien yahoo geen webcam ondersteunt met windows live messenger ( volgens een van de posters, ik weet dit niet zelf) zie ik niet waarom je dit zou doen. tenzij de ander natuurlijk ook yahoo messenger heeft. skype voor mac ondersteunt wel webcammen met skype voor windows. zelf gebruik ik adium.

8. T.Verhoeven thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i'm Dutch ;) Thanks for the help.

I've decided to download Amsn, thanks for all your help!