Yahoo IM and Amsn

T.Verhoeven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Hi,

I'm deciding between those two IM clients, but i can't find a list of differences... can you?

cdcastillo

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Where are your friends?

Which network do your contacts use? If yahoo, then use Yahoo IM or adium; if MSN then use aMSN or Adium; if gTalk, then use iChat or adium; if any other jabber, use Psi, iChat or Adium; if AOL, then use iChat or Adium.

Oh wait, why don't you use Adium?

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

T.Verhoeven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
I don't use adium because i use my webcam a lot :cool:

I have a @live account, and you guys/girls say that Yahoo messenger doesn't support those? When i checked the website of Yahoo i think that it supports the Msn network...

http://messenger.yahoo.com/mac/

Comment

Middling

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
I have a @live account, and you guys/girls say that Yahoo messenger doesn't support those? When i checked the website of Yahoo i think that it supports the Msn network...
It supports sending (text) I.M.s to people who are using the WLM/MSN network, but to use Yahoo Messenger you need to use a Yahoo account (and all your contacts will need to re-add you using that account). It doesn't support webcam between Yahoo and WLM contacts.

Comment

T.Verhoeven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
So i can't login with my @live account, but when i make a @yahoo account i can still chat with my friends who have an @live account?

(sorry but English isn't my native language)

Comment

windels

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
Belgium
I saw your name so I assume you're dutch, so :

je redenering is correct. maar aangezien yahoo geen webcam ondersteunt met windows live messenger ( volgens een van de posters, ik weet dit niet zelf) zie ik niet waarom je dit zou doen. tenzij de ander natuurlijk ook yahoo messenger heeft. skype voor mac ondersteunt wel webcammen met skype voor windows. zelf gebruik ik adium.

Comment

T.Verhoeven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Yes i'm Dutch ;) Thanks for the help.

I've decided to download Amsn, thanks for all your help!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.