Yahoo IMAP push settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sfman415, Oct 18, 2011.

1. sfman415 macrumors newbie

Hi, I can't get push email to work with the new version of mail. I just have a regular yahoo account and it pushes to my iPhone and iPad all running the latest version of iOS but I can't get it to work on my MacBook Pro. The CHECK “Use IDLE command if the server supports it" is checked but it's greyed out. Does that mean that Yahoo doesn't support this push?

Here were the instructions I was using:

Go into Mail » Preferences » Accounts (Advanced) and CHECK “Use IDLE command if the server supports it”
    Go into Mail » Preferences » Accounts (Advanced) and UNCHECK “Include when automatically checking for new messages”
    Go into Mail » Preferences » General and set “Check for new messages” to “Manually” (unless you have other accounts that do not support IDLE.)

Do I need to set it up as an Exchange account to get it to push? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Yahoo states that it only allows for IMAP on mobile devices.

I believe they used to offer IMAP via the pay-for Yahoo Mail Plus accounts, but I couldn't find any reference to them still offering that as a perk.

I did find this tutorial about how to get IMAP working manually. Though after reading the comments it seems that Yahoo changed some things over the last month or so which may mean that those settings might have to be tweaked somehow if they don't work for you.