Yahoo Mail: a walking dead service?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AGX, Apr 17, 2016.

1. AGX macrumors regular

Hi,

i'm evaulating if continue to use Yahoo Mail or switch to other service, like Outlook or Gmail... but the question is simple:

- yahoo mail and all the cmpany service are a walking dead service?

I read that Yahoo is selling all the assets :(

What do you think? It's better to change the mail service before worse scenario?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Honestly you should have changed years ago. Yahoo have been stuck in the dark ages for a long long time. Reminds me of 56k aol service back in the 90's

3. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Dead. Some people have taken to Outlook, but its script laden site locks up browsers here and there. Plus, the barren look is awful and nothing is intuitive. Gmail is fantastic. I've been a "customer" since day one. I still manage to learn new tricks here and there. I recently figured out how to mass delete emails from a particular sender. I was still using a very dated method of setting up filters and whatnot. Spam filtering is quite good, but sometimes legitimate emails do fall into the spam folder.

My main and quite private Gmail account is upped with a storage subscription. For file storage, I personally use a premium Dropbox because Drive is awful. But I love Google Photos, which is where the subscription comes into play. I pay $10 a month for 1 TB of storage. I take a lot of pictures and with a flagship phone, each image takes up a lot of space. I also do Amazon cloud storage. $60 for unlimited anything. One of my employees told me about it.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

The service is there and has been there for a long time, and whatever might be going on or not going on with Yahoo!, with as big of a user base that they still have, it's not likely it will be going away anytime soon.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Why don't you just use the free email address that came with your ISP ?

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I doubt Yahoo mail is going away, so the real question is, do you really want to use it?
    There are so many free email options available, just do a little poking around and find one that meets your needs best

7. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I am with outlook.com mainly for the Onedrive features, if you use MS office alot I would say go with that otherwise Gmail seems to be peoples preferred choice.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Have been using Yahoo since the very beginning. Not the best free e-mail service provider lately, nevertheless still better if you want to avoid data-miner Google's gmail. Worth considering some new options on the "market", especially if some puts emphasis on security, i.e. ProtonMail or Tutanota.

9. hatuko macrumors member

hatuko

In the case they shut down the service it is likely they would give users some time to migrate their emails etc to another service, but if I were you I wouldn't wait for it just in case. I didn't even know that Yahoo's email service still existed.
    There are some services which help you migrate everything with a few bucks, so you don't have to do the migration manually or with some scripts etc.

10. Tech198 macrumors G4

Whats even more strange is although its ancient, they try and act like its "secure" by a second factor authentication to keep users happy. When scams all going on right under their noses.

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'm one of those people that gets bored and signs up for email accounts so I can have "firstnamelastname@email.com". I don't know why....I just do it.

That said, I got a Yahoo email address to satisfy this need. Having never sent a single email from that account, I consistently get about 40-60 SPAM emails in there daily.

I primarily use Google/iCloud these days.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Dead man walking! I'd switch to something else.

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

My primary email is AOL but I recently signed up for iCloud email

14. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I think that is a bad idea.

My dad has Verizon dsl and wanted to switch to Comcast for faster internet. Of course, his wife didn't want to change email addresses, it caused him to put off the changeover for a few years, as there was no way to keep the Verizon email without paying for both. (He had to wait for her to get fed up with the speeds enough to finally switch to cable internet.)

The nice thing about yahoo/gmail/outlook/iCloud is that you can change isp and keep a permanent email address