Yahoo Mail Application for MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coriforia, Mar 18, 2008.

1. coriforia macrumors newbie

I just got my new MBP yesterday! (Yay!) Its very lovely :) However, I use Yahoo mail. I know I'm not able to sync it up with imail since I have the free Yahoo (I refuse to pay for e-mail, there are way too many free programs). But does anyone know of an application that will tell me when I have new yahoo mail? I used to use Yahoo Messenger on Windows purely for this reason, but I went on their website and they don't make a yahoo messenger for mac. They make one for linux but not mac! Psh. I was looking into something called Izymail that supposedly allows you to connect imail to your yahoo, but it costs something too. Something called freemacpop's allows you to view mail, but not send it through imail (why would I want to view and not send?). Sooo, I thought perhaps I would post something and see if anyone had any ideas? I could always just use a gmail, but I'm too lazy to change e-mails ha

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

Yahoo absolutely makes Messenger for the Mac - but it isn't as feature rich as the Windows version in my opinion. The latest version of 3.0 beta 2. If you go to http://mesenger.yahoo.com on your Mac it should auto detect that you are on the Mac and offer you the Mac version.

SCR

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

FYI: Yahoo Mail on Mail.app is subpar. It doesn't give you IMAP access.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yahoo Mail's paid services, Yahoo! Mail Plus and Yahoo! Business Mail offer POP3 access. Yahoo makes no mention of IMAP access. Mail.app, which supports IMAP, has nothing to do with it.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

gMail is IMAP.

Yahoo! is POP3.

POP3 does not play nice with an iPhone and Mail.app. Not worth a penny extra.

6. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

True. My point was if you're used to IMAP then POP3 stinks; in my opinion. My mother in-law setup Yahoo on Mail.app and I suggested she just go back to using it in the browser. If you want to access it in more than one place, it just makes sense to keep the messages in one place (e.g. on their servers).

Something like Mailplane for Yahoo would be slick though.

7. rnwjr macrumors newbie

8. midniter macrumors regular

midniter

9. mmduluth macrumors regular

Just make a gmail account and forward all of your yahoo mail to the gmail account through the gmail settings. Then you have IMAP email and Gmail is Wayyyyyyyyyy better IMO.