Yahoo Mail Debuts New Mobile Web Service for iOS and Android Smartphones

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Yahoo today announced the launch of a new Yahoo Mail website optimized for mobile devices, allowing users to access their inboxes without having to download an app on their iPhone or Android smartphone (via TechCrunch).

On the website for the new mobile web experience, Yahoo says that its users will have access to swipe gestures to easily mark messages as read or delete them completely, organizable folders, auto-suggest email addresses, and customizable themes.

[​IMG]

According to senior director of product management for Yahoo Mail, Joshua Jacobson, the company built the new mobile web service for users who don't want to download an app that takes up more storage on their device.
    The mobile web launch also ties into a new app for Android Go, which touts a smaller download size on the Android software that's tailored for cheaper devices. With the new Yahoo Mail versions, Yahoo is aiming at both storage-concerned users and those in emerging markets where low-cost devices are popular.

The company hopes to boost stagnated user growth, which sits at 227.8 million active users per month, an increase from about two million from one year ago. As TechCrunch points out, Yahoo's user base is far smaller in comparison to Google's Gmail client, which reported 1.4 billion users in April.

As the company grows Yahoo Mail, just over a week ago it announced that it will be permanently discontinuing Yahoo Messenger on July 17, 2018. At the time, Yahoo said its reason for shutting down Messenger was to focus on "building and introducing new, exciting communications tools" that will be a "better fit" for its customers.

Article Link: Yahoo Mail Debuts New Mobile Web Service for iOS and Android Smartphones

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

I'd laugh at people still using Yahoo Mail but I still use AOL (though through IMAP).

3. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I still use it because my ISP uses it as their service. they removed push a while back, wish that would be turned on again.

5. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

The Yahoo mail app is only 92mb. iPhones start at 32gb. It’s not a storage hog or anything.

6. slimtastic Suspended

slimtastic

Still prefer to just access through the Mail app on iPhone. Nice to see Yahoo! is still somewhat dedicated to their email service though.

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I only use my Yahoo email because it's my Apple ID. I'm not sure what I was thinking way back then when I originally created my Apple ID. I should have linked it to my Gmail account, but it is what it is.

8. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

You can totally change your Apple ID nowadays. Been that way for nearly a year. Go for it!

9. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Yahoo email. Funny stuff. Might as well start myself an angelfire website too.

10. JM2 macrumors member

Same here. Why would anyone want to use a website when the Mail app works fine? Yahoo is one of the built in supported setups so its super easy and works great. Does this mobile version show ads like the desktop web version? Because that's the only reason I can see for them to promote this.

11. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

Considering that Yahoo had a large data breach 4 or 5 years ago which they said they fixed, and then 8-9 months later they said that they had another one, and then when Verizon was in negotiations to buy them it came out that they under reported the earlier breaches by hundreds of thousands of instances and ultimately Yahoo finally had to admit that everyone who used the service has had their data compromised why would anyone still be willing to trust this service?

12. CarlJ, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018

CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Indeed. To throw more fuel on the fire, I know some smart people who had used Yahoo mail for a very long time, who just recently got off the service in a big hurry (going through all the pain of changing their email address everywhere), after Yahoo apparently changed the ToS agreement to give themselves the right to use all of your data for any purpose they like.

Myself, I switched my primary email address (only one given out to anybody) to a domain that I own, a long time ago. This means I can redirect the address to any back-end I choose, and change back-ends whenever I like, without my public email address ever changing.

13. slimtastic Suspended

slimtastic

I'd bet it shows ads, so I guess that's their angle on it.

14. fairuz macrumors 65816

fairuz

That and you can just use the default Mail app.
    Also, nobody should use Yahoo! mail in the first place, in case that hasn't been said enough times.
    Also, the FTC or someone should force Yahoo! to shut down their mail service and move everyone somewhere else cause literally every account was hacked.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2018 ---
    The only time I use the web version is if it's an account I don't care enough about to add to my Mail. I've got at least 20 email accounts I've used within the past year. Other than that, really have no idea why anyone would use something besides Mail unless they want some super advanced features.

15. techpr, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018

techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Yahoo Mail is the most unsecured service on the planet. Please use Protonmail for real Secure, End-to-End Encrypted, TNO mail service.

Jump to: 1 Hour : 34 Minutes.

16. obezcinnet macrumors member

I’m pretty sure they want to get rid of their iOS app, that’s probably why they are creating a mobile web version. It’s likely that it will cost them less than maintaining apps.

17. campyguy macrumors 68040

Besides the data breaches, I smarted a bit around a decade ago when my contacts were getting emails with ads for drugs and the like. And I've been spammed by friends with my info in their Yahoo contacts. I just don't trust that domain's services. And a couple of months ago I read this bit on CNet...

Yahoo and AOL just gave themselves the right to read your emails

18. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

19. ChrisChaval, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018

ChrisChaval macrumors 6502

ChrisChaval

Yahoo Mail does still exist...??
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2018 ---
    The only thing yahoo still I dare to use today is the weather app
    Hope it doesn’t get hacked too

Imagine all the weather forecasts all over the place ..