Yahoo Mail/Gmail and Outlook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ianwuk, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ianwuk macrumors regular

Hello.

I currently have Office 2011 installed on my Mac with Outlook. I have managed to add both my personal Yahoo account and my work MS Exchange account to it successfully but I have a question.

Natively my Yahoo email has my university email added as a separate account, this is a Gmail account. This means that when I access Yahoo Mail natively through the browser I can choose to send email from either Yahoo or my university email account.

In Outlook this does not happen, is it possible to allow me to do this within Outlook as well? In Outlook I can receive emails sent to my university email account but not directly reply to them using my university email address (I can reply back using my Yahoo account fine though).

Also, for the life of me, I have tried to add the university email address to Outlook 2011 and I have read the Gmail FAQs but it always says my username and password is wrong. When I log in to my university email natively through the university study portal I have to enter two sets of the same credentials and then it works.

I do not understand why it all works fine in Yahoo natively but not in Outlook.

Is there any way or any program that will allow me to view and access all three accounts at once?

Many thanks.

ianwuk

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

iPhone is even less flexible in this regard. I have a half dozen email accounts aggregated to one inbox at gmail. Unfortunately, on iPhone I can't simply "reply as" whoever the email was addressed to. Oh no. I must reply as the email I have set up for that account.

On OS X, mail.app is slightly more flexible. In mail.app, I can reply as whoever I want to provided I set up that email as one of the emails associated with that account. I find it hard to believe Outlook is not flexible. After all, MS is the company that pushes flexibility to the point of almost being silly. I suggest you try mail.app and see if you can check the yahoo account, yet reply as who the email was addressed to. Oh, I should mention you will need to keep an eye on the from field for each and every message you send or you might accidentally reply as the wrong identity.

If you're looking for a flexible, professional email client that lets you do what you need to do without restriction, I suggest Mozilla Thunderbird. On my Mac, I don't have any MS software installed and I use mail.app and iCal. If you absolutely need Outlook for some reason, then I think you will have to contact MS for help with what you are trying to do. If you don't absolutely need Outlook, by all means try mail.app or another OS X mail program.

3. ianwuk thread starter macrumors regular

Hello.

I tried using the Mac Mail app as well. Set up Yahoo fine, same issue. I tried to add the Gmail account for my university but again it did not seem to want to work in any way.

I have emailed the university to see if they can help. Funnily enough the settings for my university email that I have configured in Yahoo don't seem to work in Outlook or Mail app for some reason.

I've tried everything else so I might try Thunderbird also and post back with the results.

Many thanks.

ianwuk