Yahoo Mail: How many people still using it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AGX, Aug 16, 2015.

1. AGX macrumors regular

Hi!

How many people are still using Yahoo Mail? Or all the world has switch to Gmail?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have never used either of them.

3. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I don't use gmail, hotmail, or Yahoo and never have done so.

I used to be a college teacher and used the email services of whichever university I worked for, - universities tend to be fairly easy going on such matters, and it is assumed that academics will communicate with peers and others. However, I have also used smaller less well known companies, some of which are no longer around.

One of the very good private companies that I used to use unfortunately sold its business and deactivated itself, and another that I had mulled over joining did likewise.

At present, I am in the process of very slowly setting up (or being assisted in setting up) one of these services you pay for, which also requires that you register a domain.

5. Jws macrumors regular

I use Outlook.com and have done so since it was announced. I signed up almost immediately and surprisingly got my name. I never used Yahoo though, and I used Gmail for years before I switched to Outlook.com.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I still use it. It's my very first email account and I've had it since early 1999. I use it as a dedicated email address for websites I expect either to spam me or hit me with advertising, or for other accounts where I'd like them not to have my personal email address.

Both Entourage/Outlook on my Macs and Mail on my phone make it easy to have multiple accounts so my Yahoo account is simply one of many.

7. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

Actually i'm do a try with ProtonMail.

Someone know it?

P.S: i have found a free username on Outlook some moth ago (name_surname@) but it don't convince me... the presence of the underscore can be a problem?

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

+1. Since 1997.

9. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Likewise…….

Yahoo has been my main e-mail a/c since late '97 or early '98, still using my original username, and see no reason to change.

I registered with Hotmail a year or two before, and still use it as a secondary a/c. I have registered with Gmail and the odd other over the years, but don't use any of them these days.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I dropped my live.com/Outlook account like a hot rock earlier this year. Nothing buy login problems. MS has an overactive security system that questioned every one of my devices almost every time I used it. I was constantly having to reset passwords for an account that saw little use. It just wasn't worth it to me so I canceled it.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I still have two Yahoo email addresses that I use regularly. No reason to get rid of them.

12. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I still use it but it's mostly when need an email address to register in a forum and for Craigslist.

13. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

A Yahoo account became necessary when the company bought Flickr. I've never sent a Yahoo email, and the only email I've received is a 'welcome to...'

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'll do you one better, I still have a AOL email. Mostly because people still email me on it and I have some old accounts linked to it. Gmail is my main service for personal use, Yahoo for Flickr, and then a work email. My original Yahoo was so riddled with spam it became unusable.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

ATT's Uverse accounts work with yahoo mail. So I'd say there are a lot of people that still use it.

BL.

16. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

17. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

I've had a Yahoo! account, which I still use as my primary email, for a little over half my life. If it's ever necessary, I can arrange my emails in reverse chronological order and read myself learning to write. I also have an @angerdanger.com address for people who know me by that handle.

18. markhort macrumors 6502a

markhort

My first email address was Yahoo Mail, which was a long time ago now, which is long enough ago I don't want to work out how far back that was.

Only login every now and again to keep it active.

19. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

My first email account is with Yahoo. Still active(ish) and my current primary account is with yahoo as well. I am way too use to yahoo and just stuck with it. It serves my needs. I do have a gmail account as well that's mainly used for all the things I don't want associated to my primary.

20. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I still use the same Yahoo account I've had for over ten years and it works well enough. It's not my primary account anymore, but I really love the amount of space they provide, and they are adding some neat new features here and there.

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Same here..opened an account shortly after it was launched.

I still have it but have been migrating over to my Gmail account for the past couple years---have been pulling everything over to gmail automatically for at least a year.

While I still use predominantly Apple products, I do dabble with Android and Chromebooks, like Google Now and using gmail makes those platforms far more useful, IMO. I was also hacked twice on Yahoo and like many, find the SPAM filtering on gmail to be far superior. I'll probably move permanently within the next year.